Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by muirisara, Nov 16, 2007.

1. muirisara macrumors newbie

Well, my wife and I decided to make the switch from a Windows PC to an Apple PC. Last week, we ordered a Macbook from the on-line Apple Store. It arrived earlier this week and we immediately fired it up... and then immediately noticed a few dead pixels. If the dead pixels were near the edges of the screen, I may not have even noticed for awhile. But, two dead pixels lie near the center of the screen.

I took the Macbook to our local Apple Store and a Genius suggested sending the laptop to the Apple Repair Depot. The Genius wouldn't guarantee a repair, but felt sending it out was worth a shot.

A couple questions...

1.) How often does this happen? I've owned many laptops (work and home) over the years and (crosses fingers) have never experienced a screen with dead pixels. Just dumb bad luck?

2.) Am I naive to believe the quality of hardware from Apple is better than a typical Windows PC? I understand the limitations, both financial and technological, of guaranteeing a perfect screen. But...

3.) I changed the default Macbook config (added a bigger HD) and was told this was a "custom configuration". Apparently, I can't return or pay the restocking fee on a "custom configured" PC to Apple. How does this make sense? Why am I punished for spending more money?

4.) What are the odds a repair to the screen will happen?

Thanks in advance. Although I don't regret my purchase, the initial experience is a bit of a killjoy...

2. Ilovemygeek macrumors regular

You can return a custom config if it has issues. I had a custom MBP and after 2nd bad screen they authorized an RMA.