Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jasonklee, Mar 2, 2008.

1. jasonklee macrumors 6502

jasonklee

Hey, my MacBook Pro is a little over a year old, and yesterday I discovered a horrible dead pixel. Two, in fact. I don't have AppleCare of anything, but I was wondering if there's ANYTHING I can do about these 2 dead pixels? They're not stuck or hot pixels, either. I'm just really hoping that dead doesn't really mean dead.

Hoping for a fix,
    Wishful Thinker

2. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

There are instructions on the internet for how to press them out with a dull pencil covered in a cloth. I would read them before trying it out. I had a dead pixel on a brand new MBP that I exchanged the same day I bought it because it was so horrible looking and the most annoying thing in the world. I feel your pain. Good luck.

3. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Theres a little program on the apple site i think that flashes alot of different colors rapidly that sometimes gets rid of dead pixels, you should try that. Other people have said massaging the pixels some times get them "undead" lol. Try the program first, just search it on the apple website or on google.

4. jasonklee thread starter macrumors 6502

jasonklee

I actually tried the pixel multi-color flashy thing over night, and that did nothing. And I think I've had a couple of seizures from staring at it. Also, I think that's used for stuck pixels. And I tried to massage the dead pixels and poke them with the pen-with-a-cloth method, and that didn't help.

Dead pixels suck.

5. dap1215 macrumors regular

http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

Scroll down and click the Launch JScreenFix, it will pop up a window that will flash lots and lots of colored pixels. They say to run it for 20 mins over the stuck pixel. Also you may try to gently massage the area too..

Do all this at your own risk! :D

6. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

If your warranty has expired, and you don't have applecare, you won't be able to get it repaired/replaced FOC from Apple. Even if you have Applecare, you need a minimum amount of dead pixels for them to replace the panel under Applecare. I think the minimum is 5 pixels although I have heard from some it's 7 pixels.

7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Those programs only work on STUCK pixels (green, red or blue pixels), NOT on DEAD pixels (grey).

They returned my MBP the day I bought it and it only had 1 dead pixel.

8. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Obviously you can exchange it within 14 days upon purchase no question asked, but AFTER that it falls under Applecare, moreover what you said has nothing in relevance to the OP's situation.

Please post in context.

9. jasonklee thread starter macrumors 6502

jasonklee

Anyway, does anyone know why dead pixels occur? Damage or shock to the screen? Natural aging or something?

10. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

I am Not Horrible !!!!!! :D

11. dawgfang macrumors member

I am about to buy a MBP this week from the Apple store and I hate dead or stuck pixels. Will they exchange at the store if I get one with a dead pixel?
    I was almost going to wait and buy from Amazon because of their return policy but if the Apple store will exchange in case I get one with pixel problems I'll buy from them for sure.

12. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

In the US a transaction is not finalized until you leave the store. After you purchase the laptop turn it on in front of the manager to check for dead pixels. However, most managers will let you exchange it within 14 days - but no guarantees.

13. HenMaster6000 macrumors regular

I have an intense fear of receiving a MBP with a dead pixel.

What percentage of laptops are affected?

I went with the 2.6GHz penryn, so it's considered BTO. I read somewhere that BTO machines are unreturnable. If that's the case, am I stuck with my machine?

14. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Not a lot. Its fairly rare but if you do get one, just exchange it.

15. secretpact macrumors 6502

Really O_O? What if I bought it at my campus computer store, could I take it in for exchange at an apple store within 14days or is that option only available for apple store buyers?

16. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

i have a question, im planning on taking my MBP back for replacement tommorrow (bought on wednesday, so 5 days ago because of this retarded "white-yellow" bottom 1/4th of my screen. I plan on turning on the replacement in front of them, what if the new one has a dead pixel or the same yellowing, will they swap that one out also for another one since im still in my 14 day period?

17. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Depends entirely on the store manager. My local Apple store manager once let me go through 4 MacBook Pros at the Genius Bar before finding one that was satisfactory.

I've heard some folks ask why check the machine for defects so persistently when first bought. It's precisely because during the 14 days, Apple is pretty easy-going about nearly anything. After 14 days, the laptop could explode in your face and they would offer to REPAIR it rather than replace it.

That's an exaggeration, but not much of one.

18. jasonklee thread starter macrumors 6502

jasonklee

I hope you get herpes. :)

Also, for the fearful, my MacBook was perfect for over a year, but it was just yesterday that the stupid pixel decided to die. So... you never know what'll happen down the road.

So, I guess the best -- and the only thing -- I can do is just try to ignore it, and pretend it's not there, much like my dumb wife.

19. MacSKY macrumors member

Couple of points here. When the new iMac aluminum's were released I bought the 24" top of the line. Got home only to find what I thought were 3 dead pixels. Packed it back up and took it back to the store. When I got there the first person I spoke to told me that Apple didn't warrant screens for dead pixels as there are millions of them and they couldn't guarantee all of them. I asked to see the manager who sent me over to a tech who did some diagnostics only to find out I had 6 dead pixels, not 3 as originally thought. The tech told me that if you can see a dead pixel, that's usually more than one in a "dead cluster". One dead pixel is almost impossible to see. He told me that Apple's threshold was about 8 pixels but he would talk it over with the manager. They did agree to exchange it out for a new one.

Now fast forward to last Wednesday when I picked up the new Macbook Pro. Get home, fired this puppy up...dead pixel! It's fairly small, but the location is the problem with this one. As a photographer toning photos is a big thing and the location is just left of dead center. Needless to say, a very annoying spot! I'm planning on taking it back for an exchange on Tuesday, I'll let you all know how this goes. IMO you pay $2799.99 for a laptop, it should be perfect.

20. Heston macrumors regular

There's a difference between stuck and dead pixels. Stuck pixels are as they say they are. They're stuck in a single color, whereas a dead pixel is unable to be fixed. Dead pixels are often grayish.

21. MacSKY macrumors member

Just wanted everyone know that I took my MBP back to the Apple store I purchased it and talked with the manager about my dead pixels. He gave it a once over and exchanged it for me without the re-stocking fee. I told him I'm well aware that there are only a couple, but it's the location of them that was driving me nuts! I also politely and respectfully explained that someone who just shelled out $3000 for a laptop should expect perfection. (Just left of the center of the screen) He gave me no trouble at all. Thanks Apple! I now have a dead pixel free MBP! :D