Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Macgic, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Macgic macrumors 6502

Okay so i just woke up my phone (not literally) and i noticed about 20 dead pixels in the center of my phone. it is a original iphone. Will Apple replace this or is it on me? (Its alot worse then what the picture shows i had to use my MB's camera :p)

Attached Files:

2. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Apple will replace it if it has even 1 dead pixel. You should have no problems getting it replaced. But as a word of warning. Check out the replacement phone before leaving the Apple store to make sure it is good.

3. peoe2 macrumors newbie

Did they just appear like they were not there last week?

Apple's official stand on dead pixels is that they are to be expected and they consider it acceptable. I read it somewhere on apple.com.

Since your phone is an original iphone I have no clue what Apple will do, give it a try. It's not like you bought it last week, you've been using it for a while. Don't expect that it's their obligation to switch it, many laptops have dead pixels, iphone, ipod touch and Apple clearly states that for them it's a normal thing.

My iPhone 3G has been having 1 dead pixel since out of the box, I kept it as is based on what I read on Apple's position.

Give it a try if you'd like, I hope you get a replacement but my point is don't think they have to give you one.

4. Macgic thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok there isn't an :apple: apple in my location. Or close by. Could I take it to ATT?

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

No, you have to take it to the Apple Store, or call in for a mail replacement. I believe Apple is the only company that can do repairs on the iPhone (or exchanges) beyond the return period.

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Are you still in the 1 year warranty period, or do you have Applecare on your phone? If so, I would call Apple and get them to replace it. With iPods, you have to ship it in first and they ship out a replacement. With an iPhone, I don't know if they would ship you a replacement first. You would have to give them a CC number in case you don't return the iPhone.

If you don't have Applecare, or are out of your 1 Year warranty, I think your only option is to pay the flat "broken iPhone" fee. I don't know for sure what it will be, but I would assume it will be something like $200, since I just paid $129 to get an iPod 5G fixed out of warranty.

Good Luck!

7. Macgic thread starter macrumors 6502

I have till the 27th and no I dont have applcare.

Also I Jailbroke using ziphone awhile back (please don't say they'll know by the baseband cause thats just if you unlock) and I was recently JB by pwnge tool. will they be able to tell?

8. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I would try to do a full restore so you are back to the standard software and try to call them ASAP. You will want to get this address before that warranty runs out.

I don't know if they can tell about the JB after you restore...

9. Macgic thread starter macrumors 6502

So i drove the 200+ miles and they gave me a new phone! Just for future references they can't tell if you JB. Pwnge tool or the old ziphone way.

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Congratulations! After driving all of that way, I'm glad they replaced it for you...

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts