Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Cooknn said:
Say what you want - there's a QC problem at Apple - or they're just saving $$ by ignoring the problem...

This is good stuff!!!.... got any more??? :)

why is it every time someone has something that does not work from Apple it's a QC problem? Do you have any idea what the rate of failure really is? if there was a problem this board would be alive with people talking about how they're switching to Dell.

I think you may have had bad luck with two displays but I would not say there is a QC or any other problem.

:)

PowerMacMan

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
You'll soon think NOTHING of it!

I had a computer w/ dead pixels once, infact 3 dead pixels, and it annoyed the hell out of me until I got used to it and never noticed it again...

You'll get used to it!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Giaguara said:
White spots are a different thing that dead pixels.
I realize that. I've had laptops with dead pixels before. Bugged ths sh_t out of me.

I can live with the white spots. However, if I get the screen replaced and the new one has dead pixels, it would bug me.

Giaguara said:
Do the white spot(s) you have repeat partly the colors though? Most do.
Not sure I understand what you are asking.

As far as I can tell, all colors look normal other than the effect from the white spots.

But since my display seems to be gettting more white spots, I will probably go the route of getting a new one and hope that all pixels are good.

Sushi

Toreador93

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
powerbook4me said:
Hopefully someone has the link(because I dont) but there is a company that offers the policy for $50 and were talking computers that start at $999.

Well, these companies don't have computers for $999, but they are similar in price to the powerbooks.

Hypersonic PC

The following has a FREE GUARANTEE. Its price is high, but that's what you get with a boutique company.
Falcon NW

Sushi: Those white spots are a flaw. It's under warranty to get it fixed. Advisable if you ever think about selling it.

In addition, stuck/dead pixels can sometimes be rubbed out. I've seen this in most cases. Knowing the nature of LCDs, this makes sense.
How Stuff Works: LCDs

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Apple of my eye said:
I am not a switcher, and have actually been a huge Apple fan. I led our office to switching from Dell to Apple computers. I love so much of what they do. The fact I enjoy Apple and their technology so much makes the red pixel hurt so much more. It is difficult to passionately and whole heartedly back a company that is indifferent about shipping a $2500 computer out with red malfuntioning pixels :(

Understood... Whenever someone mentions resale value of an Apple computer, I am curious if they are a switcher. It seems that mainly PC people worry about the resale value as Apple fans usually keep their system long enough that resale is out of thew question.

Glad to hear the massaging worked! I tried it on mine several times and it won't go away... Oh well. I'm just thankful that my employer lets me use a Mac in our Windows-heavy environment.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Toreador93 said:
Sushi: Those white spots are a flaw. It's under warranty to get it fixed. Advisable if you ever think about selling it.[/URL]
Yeah, probably a good idea -- especially since it looks like some spots are growing and new ones are showing.

I just hope that I don't get a replacement with a dead pixel or two.

Thanks!

Sushi

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
spitfirejd said:
I was given a Powerbook G3 Lombard that has a thin red line that runs vertically down the screen. Is this like stuck pixels or a bad screen?

That sounds like the screen is bad or the cable going to the screen has come loose. If it was given to you, you can disassemble it to find out without risking anything.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Apple of my eye said:
I can understand wanting to keep a computer cost effective, but I would think that after spending nearly $2700 bucks for a computer one should expect a glitch free display. I could ( not that I would, I love Apples ) get 2 or 3 PC notebooks with clean displays for the same cost.

if every lcd apple sold was perfect, you laptop would have been closer to $4000

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Dippo said:
I wonder if Samsung keeps the good ones for themselves and gives Apple the rest. :D
LOL :D I wondered the same thing about the Apple displays that Best Buy gets. I figured Apple gave them the rejects :cool:

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
tomf87 said:
That sounds like the screen is bad or the cable going to the screen has come loose. If it was given to you, you can disassemble it to find out without risking anything.
Something like that happened to my friends Rev A PBG4. He had it replaced, then it happened again, and he got a 667MHz DVI :D

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
switchingGeek said:
Try massaging it. It worked for me, I had a stuck red pixel. I don't know if it works on a dead pixel.

Method: Hold front of screen with some soft cloth (lens cleaning type), and hold back of screen firmly with other hand, near the dead pixel. Then 'massage' the dead pixel on the front of the screen. It might go 'away'. Mine came back a few times after that, but right now it's been gone for a couple of months I think.

Best of luck!!

That is a way that can work, but that needs a few precautions. DO NOT USE PRESSURE. So if you do try massaging pixels, be REALLY, REALLY GENTLE. Or you can wait for the Apple Care technicians calling you and telling that the pixel anomaly is a result of the pressure applied to the screen, and the monitor warranty does not cover that. Use it as a last resort.

davsmiths

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2004
yours is a stuck pixels. but if it really was a dead pixel, even if u massage till those alu paint come off, it would still be there. count urself lucky.

PS: if it was a dead pixel, tt's life.

davsmiths

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2004
spitfirejd said:
I was given a Powerbook G3 Lombard that has a thin red line that runs vertically down the screen. Is this like stuck pixels or a bad screen?

Dude, your hitec cable is loose or spoilt. The cost of a hitec cable is only $10 bucks. but the labour cost is abt $50 bucks. tt's what u pay to repair a machine made by an assembly line when a human is deploy to repair it. how i wish they had aasembly lines tt repair machines too. tt would really bring down cost.

wxkeith

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2004
Princeton, NJ
Just received a new 15" PB last week and it has a few pixel anomalies on it. Looks like four dead pixels (three are down near the bottom right, which I haven't noticed unless I look for them, one about midway up the screen maybe 4" from the left side that is noticable). Just noticed a stuck blue pixel on the top right of the screen last night, but I only notice that one if I play a video full screen.

It's kind of funny.. knowing they're there bugs me, but in my day to day usage, I've only noticed the one stuck pixel in the middle. I figure I can always pester Apple for a new panel (this is a BTO machine) anytime in the 3yr AppleCare period if any additional problems crop up, but I'd rather not take my chances at this point. I would be much more annoyed by a single stuck pixel on a replacement display versus the ones I don't even notice I have now unless I search for them.

Aside from the pixel anomalies, the machine is flawless, so I'd prefer it be serving it's purpose helping me get work done rather than nitpicking over this.

Keith

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.