Dead Portable for 100 in CO, Worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by ppcg4mac, Apr 13, 2013.

1. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Up to you

The first issue will be a dead battery as they need to run off battery. Second (as I have 3, 1 backlit 2 non backlit) is the motherboard will need recapping. I know some people who will do it, but it still costs to do that. So expect at least one hundred more if you can't do the work yourself as the battery cell is around 23 dollars and the capacitors are around 20 plus shipping and labor.

2. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Make an offer. I think you could get it for less.

3. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Caps.. Hmm... I have about 20 portables in various condition, most don't power up at all, probably caps. Is there someone selling the right amount of caps in a set?

I've got a couple prototype IIgs motherboards that have some weird problems, probably need capacitors too. Every once in a while they will come on properly, but most of the time the keyboard is ignored and the video output is jacked up with about 1/4 of the screen screwed up.

4. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Nobody I know sells the caps, just do the service of doing it. They buy from like mouser or digikey.

5. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

This is not necessarially true, just rig up a 9v power supply (iirc) to the battery connections and boot it up. Don't quote me on this, but I read somewhere a while ago that you can boot it up sans battery with a higher amp power brick

6. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Bad idea

Using a higher voltage and higher wattage power supply will kill the power management circuitry. It will work but then it won't.

7. tdiaz macrumors 6502

Higher amperage/watts is fine. Using the Powerbook 165C/180C power brick is a great example of that. Giving it more voltage is a Bad Idea, though within a half a volt it's probably not going to matter as there's regulators. IE, 8V instead of 7.5V. But it's not like finding the right power supply is hard.

It will even try and run on the 9V battery.. and I've actually had a 3A 9V power supply connected where that battery goes and had it run normally from there.