Dead PowerAdapter (US version) in UK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wesrk, Feb 8, 2011.

  1. wesrk, Feb 8, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011

    wesrk macrumors 6502a

    Nov 4, 2007
    So my power adapter just blew up, not literally but close to it. It's the US version, but I am and will be in England for at least 5 more weeks.

    What should I say when I call Apple? I'm still under AppleCare but will they send me a US version or a UK version one?

    At this point it hardly matter since I need my computer so whichever is fine at the moment, but what to do?

    Suggestions more than welcome at the moment since I only have about 1:30 hours of battery life.

    Edit: I'm in Oxford at the moment and can't travel to London. There is an authorised service provider here in the city. To what extent can they help me out?
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus


    Jul 24, 2002
    The only difference between the two is the plug bit. Just take the US plug off your current one and keep it for when you go home. Apple UK will almost certainly only have ones with UK plugs to give you.
  3. gameface macrumors 6502

    Sep 11, 2010
    Boston, MA
    If it is under warranty they give you a new brick that connects to your computer but you continue to use the old part that plugs into the wall. This is what they did for me this weekend anyway when my power supply failed.
  4. wesrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Nov 4, 2007
    Thanks for the info. So I guess I'll go tomorrow to the ASP store and see what happens. Hopefully it can be taken care of there, if not, I'll call Apple and wait until the new adapter arrives.

    Thanks for the help, I was confused about the plugs bit.
  5. wesrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Nov 4, 2007
    Well… I just got back from the authorised reseller/service store. I had to buy a new power adapter since they don't have staff there to do repairs and they have to ship it to Bristol, it takes 7-10 days to get it back. My brick had some scratches so they say, even though it's still within warranty, that the people in Bristol have to determine whether or not this is still serviceable.

    So far so good, I mean, I needed my computer therefore I needed a new power brick, so I got one. The thing I'm wondering about is that I had to pay for it since they couldn't exchange it right there. So… should I just say it was £60 for peace of mind and be done with it, or should I claim a refund or something? What would you do?

    In the end it was a happy ending since I got one of the new power adapters and most importantly I can use my computer for my studies.

Share This Page