Dead PowerMac G5?

EvanH123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
New York
I have a DP 2.0 G5 that has started acting funny over the past week. I will press the power button and it will do the normal thing (fans rev up) but then it just shuts off mid way through boot. It never gets to the apple logo because it shuts down before that. This happened once a few months ago where the G5 was plugged into an extension cable and it shut off, so i just plugged it into the wall and it fixed it. Now, no matter how many times I unplug and replug it in, it will shut off randomly. Is this the death of my PM G5?

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I've been out of the game for about 3 years now, but I guess for most of the world the PowerPC game has been out of them for over 10 years. But from my non-professional guess/opinion it may be a capacitor/Power Supply issue. Try looking around the motherboard for bulging tops on capacitors.

EvanH123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2016
New York
I've been out of the game for about 3 years now, but I guess for most of the world the PowerPC game has been out of them for over 10 years. But from my non-professional guess/opinion it may be a capacitor/Power Supply issue. Try looking around the motherboard for bulging tops on capacitors.
Of my very quick inspection, i see no bulging capacitors.

Last edited:

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
this sounds like Classic U3 Memory/north bridge chip failure the only remedy for it is to reflow the Mobo (and even then its only a temporary fix)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.