Dead PSU in TC Doesn't Mean Dead Backups! (Migrate to Internal Drive)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DoFoT9, Jan 6, 2010.

1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Hello everyone,

A few months ago our family TC died in the usual dead PSU manner, our backups and other files along with it - or so it seemed. This problem is very very common (won't go into details).

I knew that the TC HDD wasn't dead, so I pulled it out and put it into one of my Mac computers. It mounted, but I had no access to the drive because of privileges. I went to "Get Info" on the drive, and changed the permissions for the whole drive and wala, I now had access to the entire TC.

From there on it was easy sailing, I:
    1. Shared the TC HDD for each networked computer to access
    2. Connected to the computer with the TC HDD via the network from the client computer
    3. Opened System Prefs->Time Machine on the client computer
    4. Hit "Select Disk" and found the networked device
    5. Backed up!

I can still navigate through my older backups like a charm - no problems at all.

I am, however, starting my backups again because they are taking up too much usage on my TC HDD - I can't do a backup because they won't fit!

Anyway, I hope this helps any users out there. :)

DoFoT9

2. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

backups have been working flawlessly for those that are interested. :)

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Good posting this info, it can help some but this would only be an option if your time capsule is older than 3 years due to that is the time limit for the hardware warranty. The time capsule have a manufacture fault making it a warranty case even outside apple care. Hence Apple trading in old time capsules after pointing this out, as Apple never follows trade law in Europe if you don't point it out for them.

4. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well its great to know that AFTER i pulled mine apart ;)

i was told from apple personally that they could not fix it because it was out of warranty (which it was), when i said to them that the capacitors were running too hot because of poor design and thus why the problem started in the beginning - i was told that apple hadnt recognised it as an issue.

so i pulled it apart :D

currently trying to fix the dead capacitors, gotta find somebody who can solder!

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

I'm not saying your wrong but what concrete evidence do you have of this? Have you done extensive testing with the current design and with other designs to prove your theory? It's just that I find it very hard to believe you know what you are talking when you can not solder enough to replace a capacitor.

6. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

You're right to question my claims. Good on you :)

Firstly, go to deadtimecpasule.org (i think that's it) and look at the thousands of similar cases to mine - most users have had their TCs fail in the same manner as mine.

Secondly, the capacitors/PSU that fail are very high quality according to apple and a few 'in the know' people that I have conversed with. That leads me to think that these caps are exposed to too high temps for too long. The caps are rated at 105C.

And of course, I know how to solder, I'd rather pay a pro to do it though. ;)