Dead Quad

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rawweb, Jun 24, 2016.

1. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

The LCS system on my L05 Quad is completely toast. System is currently useless. Is there any hope of converting the unit to a 2.3 GHz DC of the same vintage? Or are the logic boards so different it's just not realistic?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

It should be possible. I don't know if anyone has actually tried it, though.

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

You can't just swap the CPUs and have it work. You'd need to do a logic board change as well.

4. rawweb, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

That's what I was fearing. Finding the logic board part numbers on the net has been pretty convoluted...images way too small to see if there was a substantial difference.

5. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

I would keep it for parts. There may be more uses for it like the power supply, fans, case..etc. Unless you are strapped for space.

6. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

If the PSU, CPUs, Logic board, and other components are good, part it out or sell it as a parts unit. Somebody will give you some cash for it. I think I paid something like $40 just for a power supply to fix my quad a couple years back.

7. rawweb, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

You know...I almost think it's worth the gamble. The logic boards don't look all that different. The only thing missing on the 2.0/2.3 board is the physical connector for a second processor, hell, even the solder points are there. Processor mount points seem similar too. Going to continue investigating...will report back.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 24, 2016 ---

After looking at the service guide I've successfully moved the mounts to support a single processor on the processor support bar. I picked up a 2.3 processor on eBay and will report back what happens. The only trouble might come with thermal calibration...Either way, just an experiment for fun...If it works I'll pick up an inlet assembly for a single processor.

8. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

Could have sworn you could use a 2.5GHz processor in a DC 2.3... I don't know if its vise versa

9. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Depending on the GPU, I'd be willing to buy that component if it's better than my Radeon 9600, as well as the HDD(s) if you decide to part it out.

EDIT: I see you figured out how to get a replacement processor in. Good luck! If it doesn't work out, let me know since I'd still be interested.

10. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

You have an AGP based 2.3 right? Quad VCards won't work in it then

11. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Damn, I completely forgot... Thanks for reminding me

12. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Is it the dual pump or single pump LCS? If it's the single I'll buy it from you, much easier to rebuild than the PITA dual pumps.

13. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Nah gav, dual. As you might recall I had two, fixed one and sold it and am left with this dying machine. Hoping my gamble pays off and I can get the machine working in some condition again!

14. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Darn, I happen to have the 512MB Quadro FX!

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is similar to old cars, if the case is in good shape then it is worth putting money into. Finding a G5 without some form of shipping damage these days (bent or tweaked legs, scratches, dents, etc.) is near impossible, and the ones that are left are being thinned out by hardware failures.

16. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

For those that had some doubt. I write this from my modified 2.5 Quad to 2.3 Dual Core!

If interested, I'll post more on the process. Pretty straight forward. Happy to have the machine working again.

Picture 1.png

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That poor G5 must be choking with so little memory, especially for Leopard!

18. rawweb thread starter macrumors 6502a

rawweb

I need to get my hands on more. I loaded up my other quad prior to selling it as I never thought I could get this machine working again.

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am sure that once you get more RAM it will make a night and day difference.