Dead rMBP - Apple won't help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tmanto02, Sep 13, 2014.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Hi guys,

The other day I went to turn on my 13" retina MacBook Pro and it would start at all. It's about 18m old and i have apple care. I left the computer with the geniuses, who when they first looked at the computer said that it was the logic board and then repair was all covered. I just got a call from them and they said that the computer isn't covered due to liquid damage that was not picked up upon first inspection. They want to charge me $900 to fix it!

I have always looked after my computers and do not believe that the computer has ever come in to contact with any liquids, and no one else ever uses the computer.

I'm heading into the apple shop tomorrow to talk to them, does anyone have any advice on how best to handle the situation?

Cheers

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Tell them that they said that it was all covered in the beginning and that you cannot be forced to pay it, because they said it's free in the beginning.

3. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Great argument there... Sounds like something a five year old would concoct.

They said it would be covered if the machine is under AppleCare. As you well know, accidental damage is not covered. The discovery of that damage means Apple is no longer required to cover the repair.

Apple has the right to deny the repair due to user damage. End of story.

To the OP, ask to see the evidence of liquid damage and go from there.

4. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Yes I'll certainly be asking to see the corrosion myself. I genuinely have no recollection of ever spilling anything on the computer so I'm very sceptical.

I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow.

5. EOB macrumors regular

It is either you know that you spilled something on it, or that you have not. How does one forget if you spilled something on a computer in general...

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, I think you need to have them explain in detail as to why they believe there's water damage.

7. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Can also be of wet environments or condensation, not only spilling stuff.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Doubtful. Review the damage. This is probably your standard-issue denial of accountability on the part of the user. At least, that's my instinct. But the damage will tell.

9. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i agree,

condensation will not set them off, the way water damage works is if they see a LSI that is either pink or red than they are required to investigate further for water damage (corroded parts and discolored parts).

10. Anitramane macrumors 6502

If it is in wet places it is the users fault.

11. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

12. cmaier macrumors G3

LOL. Yeah, that's how it works.

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Yes but the sensors aren't 100% right.

14. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Picking it up tomorrow, will keep you all posted

----------

Why would I deny accountability to a bunch of strangers on the internet?

15. cmaier macrumors G3

Not saying you are lying, but if you did have a spill the obvious reason to deny it to us is so that if we had a way to beat apple's refusal to help you, we would tell you what it is.

The same reason iphone thiefs are always pretending they just forgot their password and asking for help to defeat the password lock.

16. VI™ macrumors 6502a

It's the user's fault for living in a humid climate? Well darn!

17. cmaier macrumors G3

Humidity doesn't trigger the moisture sensors.

18. Anitramane macrumors 6502

19. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

20. VI™ macrumors 6502a

[/COLOR]
    Sure it can. Too much humidity or a change in temperature can cause condensation which will cause a build up of moisture that will create enough water to kill something. Taking your electronic device from the cold in to a warm house can cause it to sweat and the condensation can cause actual water droplets. That's why it's recommended that when you move a device that could possibly be sensitive to water from a colder temp to a warmer temp to leave it the bag and let it warm up slowly. I could see a super humid environment doing this too.

Then if Apple doesn't already, they need to have it outlined in their warranty information that living in a certain locale will void your warranty.

21. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Ahh got you. Well no I can assure you that's not the case. All I know is that my computer was working perfect one day then wouldnt start the next.

If there is corrosion on the logic board like Apple says, then it must have been from so long ago that I can't remember, which if that was the case I doubt that it would be the cause of the issue, but I know that at argument would be completely irrelevant for Apple. Any way I'm picking the notebook up in a few hours so I'll let you know what I find.

22. IndoX macrumors 6502

Once liquid is found every argument goes out the window: it's accidental damage. They will deny any repair to the machine regardless if it's a defect or not and offer to send out the computer to a repair facility for a flat rate cost. In store technicians will NOT work on a product that has any liquid.

23. Artimus12 macrumors 6502a

Artimus12

So what was the outcome?

Is it possible that someone else spilt liquid on it, then cleared it up without saying anything to you?

24. tmanto02, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

So when I went into pick up my MacBook I spoke to one of the geniuses. I asked them to show me proof of liquid damage cause I was in disbelief. You ventured me a photo of the corroded screw connected to the logic board. Still in just belief I became that guy and asked to see you with my own eyes. I've attached a photo of the corroded screw. I still find it strange considering there were no signs of liquid residue or anything but anyway. They told me it would cost approximately $900 to replace the logic board and test other components for damage so they couldn't really give me an exact cost to repair.

So now I'm stuck with a dead one and a half year old top-of-the-line MacBook with retina display. :(

Attached Files:

25. IndoX macrumors 6502

Sorry about the outcome. Any signs of corrosion/rusting inside the machine points to liquid unfortunately. For safety reasons technicians cannot "show" you the liquid damage other than taking a photo.

And to the poster who suggested the Genius team spilled liquid on the machine: liquids are not allowed inside the room where the techs work on the machines.