Dead Space Bar

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LorGirl, Sep 18, 2011.

1. LorGirl macrumors newbie

A month or so ago a splatter of coffee was dropped onto my Macbook pro Unibody. Nothing was affected except the space bar which was shorted. The back light works, the track pad works, the power buttons and all other keys work. I was using the keyboard viewer to operate the machine but I recently started back at school and need the space bar for essays. I took my machine in (no more warrenty) because I thought replacing the keyboard would be more headache than savings and I was quoted 200$. The guy looked at it and said "the entire keyboard assembly is failing". He says the part is 400$ plus labor. Is he full of crap? I was looking on eBay for replacement keyboards (the keys and the membranes etc) and they are only around 50$ or so. Can a dead space bar require the entire keyboard assembly to be replaced? And by keyboard assembly does he mean the entire lower unibody case? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. eric/ Guest

eric/

Do you have the know how and ability to replace the keyboard yourself? If not I suggest maybe purchasing the replacement keyboard and asking them to install it. I wouldn't be surprised if the keyboard assembly as a whole would need to be replaced. I doubt you can just replace the space bar and be sent along your merry way.

HOWEVER

Make sure sure sure sure that you get something in writing stating that the keyboard is the only thing being replaced and the only problem. There is a chance they could screw up and destroy the computer and you will want documentation proving that it worked fine besides the keyboard issue.

3. LorGirl thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that the entire keyboard needs to be replaced. When I popped off the space bar I could see the little black mark right on the space bar circuit where there was a short. So I want to buy this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-Macbook-...89?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4cf95c62d1

Is something like that what you think I need? I'm pretty sure when he says entire 'keyboard assembly' he is talking about the entire bottom unibody case. I'd take it back from there and do it myself but I do I still need to pay 100$ for him to have even looked at it. >.<

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

$32 for shipping? Id look elsewhere. But if you think you can replace the keyboard yourself I say go for it. Replacing the entire thing should fix it based on the information from your post. Id search around on youtube or something to see if you can find a how to video.