DEAD SR Macbook (13.3" - white)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hasah, Jan 5, 2008.

1. hasah macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I got my new SR macbook mid-november 2007. it was working perfectly well and then one morning it just would not power up. ive got AppleCare and they told me on the phone to take it to the apple store, which i intend to do once i can make an appointment at the genius bar (which is really annoying as you need ProCare to be able to do this conveniently).

From what i've read on forums about this problem, i suspect my macbook has a logic board problem which i understand is a costly replacement for apple.

i have 3 questions:-

1) based on your experience with apple's technical support service, should i expect a replacement macbook or a repair?

2) do you guys think its wise to wait till the 15th of jan (macworld) before i go the genius bar and then potentially get a newer macbook as a replacement?

3) when apple replace products under warranty, do they HAVE to replace it with the same spec mac ONLY, or can i ask for black macbook instead (i would pay the difference in price) ?

any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

1. Depends, its most likely gonna be a logic board swap. since you're way past the 14-day period

2.Waste of time. The MacBooks were just updated in Nov which means there is a VERY LOW chance they'll be touched at MacWorld. Unless you're hoping they swap yours for an ultraportable which is again HIGHLY UNLIKELY to happen.

3. They have to replace with same mac spec and no they aren't meant to allow you upgrade and pay the difference.

But with most things Apple, nothing is REALLY fixed in concrete so try your luck.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

1) Well, since your MB is passed to the 14 day period, you will probably get a repair. BUT, if you bring it to the store with everything including the box and ask for a new one politely, they might just give you a new one.

2) There will NOT be a MacBook update until May/June. They were just updated. There will probably just be an ultraportable and MBP update.

3) I think if you ask to pay the difference for a BB they will say yes, they are making more money arent they?? Take a shot!

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Sorry to hear about your problem.

You don't need ProCare to make reservations.

The store in my area typically has appointments available for current day and next day. Just make appointment when the store opens in the morning to get your desired times.

1. Probably repair, but depends on how persuasive you are (and how new the condition your MacBook is, but bring in your box, packaging, etc in a good condition and there might be a very small chance they'll replace it).
    2. MacBook was updated 2 months ago, so the chance is slim to get an update 2.5 months after last update.
    3. If they replace a machine (difficult to obtain unless of genuine need), they typically replace with a new, current machine.

5. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

I had a logic board fail in two of my iBooks. Apple was very kind, but there was not the opportunity to upgrade, and they did not replace the computer, just the logic board.

If they simply replace the logic board for you, that is all you will get.

However, if they replace your computer with a new unboxed macbook, make sure you get a receipt. You can then take the unopened macbook to any apple store and use it as trade-in value towards a new purchase.

6. hasah thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you all for your advice :) very useful. i will definately take my box and remaining contents with me... i have managed to get a genius bar reservation for monday 7th jan in the afternoon.

i'll keep you guys posted as to what happens... hopefully i'll get a new one iA :D

7. hasah thread starter macrumors newbie

took my macbook to the genius bar today... it got booked in for a logic board replacement. hope it doesn't take too long... the "genius" said it would take 3-7 days.

once again, thanks for all your help guys...