Dead/Stuck pixel-like object seen when computer is off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Branskins, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Branskins macrumors 65816

This is weird: I have tried cleaning it off the screen, but it looks like a white stuck or dead pixel when the screen is off and completely black.

I know that doesn't make sense, but it looks like a stuck/dead pixel when the computer is on too.

I have had this computer for 3 years...has anyone seen something like this before?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd guess you have something stuck between the glass and the LCD.

3. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

^ yeah. I don't think you can see pixels when screens off without some 3rd party tool

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

This is more likely a small piece of white dust/dirt. It's not possible for a pixel to be illuminated a stuck color when it isn't powered last I checked.

5. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

I feared this!

Do people normally just deal with this or is there a good way to get rid of it?

Thanks all

6. T5BRICK, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It may be annoying, but I'd probably just deal with it. You'd basically need to remove the glass from your display(I'm assuming you have a unibody MacBook (Pro), otherwise you wouldn't have glass in front of the LCD). If you were to do this, you run the risk of introducing another piece of debris.

7. Branskins thread starter macrumors 65816

You are right. Knowing my luck I would just make it worse :(

Does anyone if Apple offers any customer support for out of warranty computers with an issue like this?

I might just live with it while I prepare for a new MBP next year :)

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You could always take it into an Apple store and see what they say. I don't think they're going to charge you just to look at the computer.

9. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

If it's out of warranty it's quite unlikely Apple will do anything. The glass panel will need to be removed and the inside cleaned. If you attempt this, in the process, there's a decent chance that a second spec of dust will sneak in there and cause the same issue elsewhere on the display. If I were you, I'd deal with it until your next upgrade. If it's only a problem with the computer off, don't worry about it.