Dead/Stuck Pixel on Late 2012 MBP retina display...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheLouisCohen, Nov 4, 2014.

1. TheLouisCohen macrumors newbie

Hello Forum!
    Right this is my first post on here so try to be nice :D
    I have been using a Macbook-pro retina (late 2012 version) since 2013 mid term. Havent had any problems and its been great! However, as of Tuesday 4th November (day of this post) i have noticed a small bluish pixel on my display. I immediately thought this was a software issue, so I restarted my mac to see if this was the problem, but to no prevail I have not been successful. I have tried various online methods (veterans of tech will probably laugh here) for instance, youtube videos that flash through colours to unstick the pixel but after closer examination of the dead/stuck pixel (a zoomed picture from a high resolution camera) it seems to be 6 individual pixels are not functioning properly and emitting a bluish light between them. However, from a human eyes perspective, looking from different angles dramatically changes the colour to green and red etc. Im not so sure that I still have the free warranty, although I have literally no idea how long that lasts. Im debating whether I should take in my mac and pay the price, or maybe a cheaper alternative? that is presuming that I have to pay, if not great!
    Any help would be greatly appreciated and Im sorry because you probably have answered millions of posts much similar to my own, the reason I have posted yet another thread is because I cannot seem to find something that directly correlates to my situation, so to put it very bluntly, I need some tailored help!
    Ill attach some photos that I have taken to show anyone who cares to take a look.

Thanks Again,
    Louis Cohen

Attached Files:

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

If you go to:

 -> About This Mac -> Service -> Check my service coverage

It will tell you whether your warranty is still valid. If you bought it through the education store, or paid for AppleCare, you'll still have a warranty. If you didn't, and have had the machine more than a year, you'll be out of luck.

3. TheLouisCohen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much, I found out that my (one year) warranty has now expired, so Im going to just have to walk into a shop and see what my options are!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

A dead pixel isn't going to be worth replacing the display at this point. As you checked, its out of warranty and there's not much you can do :(

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

How far out is it? If it's close they may still help you. Also, what country are you in, and where did you purchase it from?