Dead/stuck pixel!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NoIdea!, Apr 24, 2011.

1. NoIdea! macrumors member

Hi,

Dilemma - I have found a dead/stuck pixel on my iPad 2 screen and not sure what I should do about it...

The problem is, this is my fourth unit due to light bleed issues and the other 3 replacements I have had have also had scratching on the back, straight out of the box. The unit I have now is the best one I have had - less light bleed issues and a flawless backing. Only issue now is that I have found this dead pixel. It is really obvious and really annoying but I don't know whether to take it back because of all the trouble I've already had with the previous units.

Is there anything I can do to fix it, should I take it back, or should I just try and ignore it?!

Cheers.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

What does the pixel actually look like? Is it stuck on one colour or is it black?

You can try running one of those apps which flashes red, green, then blue in quick succession, which may or may not help.

Personally I'd take it back.

3. NoIdea! thread starter macrumors member

It's just black, no matter what colour the screen is...
    It is annoying, so bad, but if I return it, there is a) no guarantee that the replacement won't have one (or more) and b) that it won't have bleed issues or scratching on the back...

I think the guys in my apple store are getting kinda sick of seeing me as well to be honest!!

Do you know where I can find one of those tests that will run on the iPad? Checked google to no avail.

Cheers.

4. rovex macrumors 65816

The QC on this has been abysmal, and no one should have to keep units which aren't near flawless. I fail to understand however, why you and others replace it several times if the issue is widespread on the vast majority of the first batches out there? Wouldn't it be much better to save the time and hassle for when the device becomes more reliable with regards to anomalies?

5. rovex macrumors 65816

That test only works for stuck pixels, dead pixels which are black are, well, truly dead.

6. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I don't see how a brand new replacement iPad will have scratches on the back, when you go in for a replacement, let him show you the device, power it on and check all is fine, just like I did.

7. NoIdea! thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I should have just waited a few months after my first one and wait till a better batch came in... This is why I don't know whether it is worth the hassle or replacing this one...

I opened the others up in the store and the managers agreed with me regarding the scratches but because stock was low I had to take it with me and return it when they had more stock in.

Do you think it's possible to just learn to live with this dead pixel and ignore it or, in your experiences, is that near impossible? Bearing in mind that it is quite obvious.

Cheers

8. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Just wait for more stock to come in, or alternatively go to another Apple retail store and see if they have any for replacements. Definitely get it changed, I would never keep anything that is faulty.

9. rovex macrumors 65816

Where exactly is it located on the screen?

10. NoIdea! thread starter macrumors member

It's approximately a third of the way up the screen when in landscape mode with the home button on the left and then about 3 inches across... If you have the keyboard up on screen in landscape mode it is on the 's' key.

11. Ommid macrumors 6502

I would definitely exchange it, and if they cant get it right get a refund.

All the original MacBook Alus were like this, I waited 3/4 weeks and they were all perfect.

12. blimey macrumors newbie

i had the same a week ago. scheduled a appointment with genius and they replaced it. apple's customer care is top notch.

13. Pr0totype macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

Watch this YouTube video on full screen on your iPad and it should fix your dead pixel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUhVdUIuQrY

14. EdPR macrumors newbie

iPad 2 stuck pixel

I was given an iPad 2 as a gift and when I go to any black screen two blue dots appear- stuck pixel. The problem is that I live in Puerto Rico and although there are premium retailers none can get mines replaced. They say that there has to be three stuck pixels so that they can send it to apple. In other words I am extremely unsatisfied with the resé lees we have. Be aware that fuere are no Apple atores on the island. I need to resolve this soon or. I am going to the press to make sure apple takes action on this. There are apple devices in all the major retail stores on the island but we can not get Apple to take a stand on this.

Help
    Edwin