Dead superdrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beqbutu, Apr 14, 2014.

1. beqbutu macrumors newbie

Hi guys i'm new here, recently i bought a macbook pro a1278 that had liquid damage, took it apart cleaned and put it back together and it worked but the dvd didn't, no signs of life at all and not recognised in os system info, i tried to put another one in but don't know if it works or not but still resulted with the same symptoms, should i try to get a new one? To test if any of the drives work i bought a usb enclosure today from ebay, has anyone had this sort of fault with the dvd drive as I'm thinking that its the motherboard thats gone bad, or my luck both dvd's have the same fault, the funny thing is that every other thing works perfectly well except the mic but its a minor thing and i can live without it.

Any help would be deeply appreciated, this site is great for guys like me as i had most of my questions answered :)

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is VERY common for those Superdrives to fail.

3. beqbutu thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks very much for your quick reply, ill buy a new drive and see how it goes, ill post back here with the results :) thanks

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

What do you mean? Are you saying the new external USB SuperDrives fail?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I was referring to the internal Superdrive like the OP mentioned. I have not heard of any issues with the new external models.

6. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Good. So would you recommend it? I plan to use it for films, X-Plane and backing up to DVD's.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have one and it works well with my Macbook Air. Never had any trouble with it at all.

I know there are cheaper, generic drives that will work, but I have no experience with them.