Dead TB/Display port on 13" Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Wahlstrm, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

It worked perfect a few days ago but now it seems dead.
    When I plugged it in to the TV today, there was nothing..

I have ruled out software issues by booting from another disk.
    I have ruled out the TV and cable since it works when I plug in my Mini.
    I hooked it up to my Dell 30" but no luck there..

Since the machine is about 15 months old this kinda sucks.

Anyone had similar problems and found a solution?

:)apple:Mid2013 13" i7, 8GB, 256)

2. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

No I've never had that issue and i feel it's kinda rare to happen. Try to take it to apple and see if they can fix it or have any solution for you!

3. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

At the very least, make an appt at Apple, explain to them that you want to explore the possibility of getting it fixed, but would like an estimate first. They will diagnose, then give you an estimate. If you understand tech well, and talk 'tech' with them, they will basically tell you whats involved to fix it. If its crazy expensive and involved, see if you can get a trade in credit. If its rather simple, then do it yourself.

However, given the TB port is connected to logic board, and TB controller chip is connected to logic board, if you have ruled out software, then most likely a logic board swap is needed.

I would go the extra step, verify the info in System Profiler, make sure its being recognized and responding. Then, do a backup, then wipe system, reinstall OS and restore from backup. Maybe worth a few hours. Let us know.

4. motrek macrumors 68020

Apple is known to sometimes have some leeway with these situations. If you are pleasant to them and appear sad enough about your Mac that broke just out of warranty, they might fix it for you for free.

5. Wahlstrm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

There are no issues reported from the Air, everything looks ok in there and when I boot and hold down "D" the diagnostics find no errors.

It just fails to detect that there is a cable connected to it..

Guess I will have to go to Apple and beg.. :)

The "consumer rights laws" in this country basically gives us 36 months when it comes to warranty but after 12 months you still have to fight a bit for it..

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Have you checked for any debris in either the cable or the socket? A quick clear out with compressed air may help.