Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TealShark

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
New Brunswick, Canada
It's been a rough weekend for my first foray into the Apple family. :)

I picked up a 1G iPod Nano yesterday and cracked it open. I installed the software from the CD, updated to the latest version of iTunes, and connected the hot looking little thing.

A couple of hours of charging and transferring some of my library over, it started to spit out errors at me every 10 or 15 songs about file transfer errors when I'd try to copy over MP3s or AACs. Ultimately, I filled the beast and - fully charged - I ejected and unhooked the badboy to crash on the couch and play around with it for the first time...

... But for whatever reason, it was dead. No power, no response, nothing. I plugged it back into the USB cable and rehooked it into my PC; nothing. It wasn't even detecting a device hooked into its USB ports, and I tried quite a few of them. It's just sitting here now, a completely dead device with no power and no connection to my PC to even try a reformat through the Apple iPodUpdater.

Is it time to exchange it, or has anyone else encountered a similar situation they can pass some words of advice on to me as to how to go about fixing it?

Thanks!

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Urgh. My first Mac mini, also my first foray into Apple, also died on me. I've not had an iPod, but what you describe doesn't sound right and I'd certainly say you should get a replacement immediately. Don't lose faith though, I now have a working mini and it has blown me away. Check my profile for what I have to use the rest of the time! I'm sure your confidence in Apple will be restored in time, as mine has been.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
return it. Don't waste your time trying to fix a lemon; you should not have to deal with that on a brand new product.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Just bring it to where you bought it. Even Apple just replaces b0rked iPods with a new-ish one (depending on how old the model is, it'll be new or most likely a reconditioned one)

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Counterfit said:
Just bring it to where you bought it. Even Apple just replaces b0rked iPods with a new-ish one (depending on how old the model is, it'll be new or most likely a reconditioned one)

If you bought it in a retail store, especially since it's <1 day old they should have no problem giving you a brand new one. Just pack everything back up, take it all back (boxes, manuals, disc, etc) and say you'd like a brand new one, which is what you paid for. If they try and pawn a refurb off on you tell them you'd like a rebate for the price difference (about $30 if I recall).

If they refuse that, just ask for your money back, which again shouldn't be an issue. It's well within any return window and was DOA.

TealShark

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've packed it up and I'm just gonna take it in tomorrow to exchange it and not even worry about it. Thankfully, this didn't sour my decision to buy a Mac laptop soon. :)

myshoeshurt

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Victoria, B.C.
TealShark said:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've packed it up and I'm just gonna take it in tomorrow to exchange it and not even worry about it. Thankfully, this didn't sour my decision to buy a Mac laptop soon. :)
Yeah sounds like you had some bad luck... but don't give up! My Nano and iBook have been working beautifully :D

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
did you try reseting it? Hold the select (middle button) and menu button ( top of wheel) down together for 5 seconds. You'll be amazed how many people I have told this to who thought their iPod was dead and this brought it back, working just fine. People think I know some secret when I tell them this, even though it is in the paper work that comes with the iPod.

TealShark

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2006
New Brunswick, Canada
wwooden said:
did you try reseting it?

I tried several times last night, so you can imagine my surprise when I did it one more time tonight before packing it up for a return when - out of the corner of my eye - I caught a glimpse of the faint Apple logo. A reformat later with the iPodUpdater to bring it up to 1.1.1 and I am back in business.

Thank you very much for reminding me that sometimes it merely takes a shot in the dark to get a miracle to happen. :)

EDIT: My iPod Nano is also running much smoother than it did when I last uploaded files to it. Before where it'd choke and lag when uploading, now it just flies. Turns out a nice fresh-out-of-the-box reformatting and firmware upgrade would have done it good. :)

Thanks again for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.