Dead Time Capsule Disposal

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
I have just replaced a dead time capsule where the power supply had failed. I do not see any screws and I want to remove and destroy the hard drive. I want to recycle it to trow it away but not with all my information on it. Nothing is very critical but I dont want my pictures and kids school files and whatever else it on the computer "olut there"

Any ideas

Thanks

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The rubber bottom peels off. You can save the hard drive and reuse it. It's just a SATA drive that are common in many desktops.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It's really easy to take apart to remove the drive. Heat the rubber with a hair dryer to help get it off.

FWIW you can easily replace the power supply and use it as an Airport Extreme even if you leave the HDD out. I got the recommended Cisco one for ~$16 on eBay, even though I still use my Airport Extreme.

B

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
The rubber bottom peels off. You can save the hard drive and reuse it. It's just a SATA drive that are common in many desktops.
Just got it out. Think I will hold onto it as an exta back up. if I got an enclosure could I acess it?

It's really easy to take apart to remove the drive. Heat the rubber with a hair dryer to help get it off.

FWIW you can easily replace the power supply and use it as an Airport Extreme even if you leave the HDD out. I got the recommended Cisco one for ~$16 on eBay, even though I still use my Airport Extreme.

B
Thanks, juast got it open. does the ciscio power supplyfit in perfectly with all the correct attachments? I wish I would have know before I openn mione up. I wanted to remove the hard drive. I did not pay much attention to where everything hooked up. Oh well.

thanks for the info.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
does the ciscio power supplyfit in perfectly with all the correct attachments?
No, it ends up being an external power supply/brick. You have to do a bit or surgery on the wire harnesses.

If you don't want to use a hard drive in it you could even just use a 5V wall wart. The 12V from the supply goes only to the HDD.

B

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It is accessible via an enclosure on Mac OS X systems. You data should be retrievable from it.

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
No, it ends up being an external power supply/brick. You have to do a bit or surgery on the wire harnesses.

If you don't want to use a hard drive in it you could even just use a 5V wall wart. The 12V from the supply goes only to the HDD.

B
It is accessible via an enclosure on Mac OS X systems. You data should be retrievable from it.
All you really need to do is convert USB to SATA with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816111

Where would this attach?

B
You may be able to access it provided the power supply didn't take it with it.
Thanks all. Much appreciated. I purchased a new one and hope it lasts more than 18 months! We will see. At least the price droopped brom 4999 to 299!

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
"I have just replaced a dead time capsule where the power supply had failed. I do not see any screws and I want to remove and destroy the hard drive. I want to recycle it to trow it away but not with all my information on it"

Why throw the hard drive away?

Just re-use it with one of these gadgets (that cost only $20-25):
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb+sata+dock&x=0&y=0

Just "wipe the drive" using Disk Utility, and then use something like CarbonCopyCloner to convert it into a "clone" of your internal. It's bootable and could become very handy to have in the drawer in the event of an unforeseen emergency!

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
What does Apple charge to replace the power supply? I ask because mine is going on over 2 years and it is only a matter of time before I have to replace or repair it.

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
When mine failed they offered to replace it (with the same model refurbished) not repair it.

They were going to charge $99 to transfer the data to the new one, off site. There was no guarantee that my data was going to be destroyed. I escalated it and they still replaced it, but let me keep my old/dead one.

B