Dead unibody MacBook after spill, take apart looks clean inside

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by InfoTime, Apr 29, 2011.

1. InfoTime macrumors 6502

A client of mine spilled a Diet Coke on her unibody white MacBook. I got the machine weeks after the event and after Apple told her it'd be $750 to repair. The machine would not power up or show any signs of life.

I took it apart thinking I'd find gunk on the parts and start by cleaning it up. So, I completely disassembled it only to find nothing gross inside. In fact I found no evidence of a spill. I did not take the top case apart - the keyboard and trackpad are still attached. So it appears that the spill was probably contained within the top case and didn't leak down onto the logic board.

I'm thinking about replacing the top case as I'm pretty sure that's screwed up. But, short of ordering one, reassembling everything and trying to see if that fixes it, is there some way to further troubleshoot?

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

What is a unibody white MacBook? It's either white or an unibody. If it's the white one then the kb is very easy to replace, if it's the unibody one you have to almost completely remove everything to replace the top cover. As for the damage it could be and easy fix or a dead logic board. When the spill happened did you remove power and shut it down immediately?

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It's the white MacBook Apple has been selling for the past 2 years. By Apple's description, it's a "white unibody" MacBook. The current white MacBook design is very different from the previous polycarbonate MacBook design.

6. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

i spilled vine in mine and took everything apart and dipped in alcohol 95% or more(motherboard and keyboard and fan) and cleaned it with a toothbrush ,let it dry and put it back, is been 4 months now and everything works fine.
    try that.

7. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Was it turned off when you spilt it? I spilt water onto my MBP and nothing happened, luckily it was turned off (the battery was dead so it entered deep sleep mode).

8. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

it was on at the time and die right after the spill and after a few days i decided the alcohol solution.
    The motherboard was cover in wine and i actually use an electric toothbrush to clean it.

9. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Bloody Nora! I think you may have gotten a boulder as your laptop.

10. InfoTime thread starter macrumors 6502

Is yours the white unibody MacBook? Did you see wine on the motherboard?

11. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

no is not unibody and yes i saw wine in the motherboard,even if u don't see any what do you have to lose anyways just clean it.