dead usb on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by choiboyogg, Dec 6, 2009.

1. choiboyogg macrumors member

i have the older 17 inch non unibody macbook pros
    i have been moving over the week and when i was setting up, i accidentally plugged the wrong ac adapter into my usb hub.
    the next thing i notice, the usb is no longer working. keyboard, mouse, etc, not working, the other ones are
    initially, the wifi card went out to with the other usbs. i did two reboots and the wifi and other usb ports came back.
    the one where i plugged in the usb from the hub is dead

:(

is there an easy fix for this? im pretty sure there isnt but i had to ask. how much will apple care charge to replace the usb?

2. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

If the USB isn't recognized by System Profiler (Menu Bar->Apple->*hold Option*->System Profilier->USB), then it's a hardware issue. There can't be anything wrong with the port itself, instead, the USB controller should be fried. You will most likely need the entire logic board replaced (this includes the CPU, GPU, etc.).

3. choiboyogg thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info, so basically im screwed, how much does a whole new board go for? is it even worth asking?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

For a new logic board you're looking at probably near $1000. Which may or may not be worth it to you. As the computer still has 2 functioning USB ports I'd probably just keep it as is and get a USB hub as a supplement to the 2 remaining.