Dead USB port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jkramb, Mar 15, 2009.

1. jkramb macrumors member

I had a yogurt in my bag with my MBP (stupid, i know) and it busted open. Yogurt got in the USB port as well as the two audio jacks and the power plug. I cleaned it up after it dried, and everything works fine except for the USB port which seems to be completely dead. How hard will it be to fix this? can i switch the port myself or do i need to have apple do it? what all goes in to this?

2. jagr200 macrumors member

Dude you deserve what you got. NEVER have any fluids around your electronics.

You will probably have to take it to an Apple Store and have them replace it as I would assume its soldered into the Mother Board. Never looked though cause I take care of my stuff.

3. johata3 macrumors regular

just be careful with fluids or any liquid-related products in your bag. (i don't think your comment was that necessary jagr...) i had a half-closed drink in my timbuk2 bag and when i opened it, everything in the bag was a mess. luckily the bag separates the laptop and other stuff so it was safe. (that's why i recommend getting timbu2 bags)

i think you should take to the apple store and just say that it doesn't work for some strange reason. apple doesn't want to handle any accidental stuff on laptops when their stores are busy and packed with customers. just remember to make a genius bar appointment first! good luck and let's hope your mbp gets fixed! :)

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Useless comment - no need to be all high and mighty about it. I'm sure the OP knows now.

jkramb - I don't think it will be worth doing it yourself... the problem could be simple, or have multiple issues. You could take it to apple but they'll probably charge a lot. I suppose you could buy a little usb hub and use that.
    Sorry about that, hope this is helpful.

5. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Open it up and clean it the motherboard the best you can... that's all you can do and hope for. It may not work at all. I've also had electronics that 'fried' that started working many months later. Who knows... You can be lucky.