dead video card?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hansolo669, Oct 5, 2009.

1. hansolo669 macrumors regular

hey every one
    i have a problem, i just(in the last week or so) bought a powermac g4 mdd(fw 800) and so far its been great! but one thing, today is was changing where the harddrives are (better cool for the hd's) and when i booted it, mesed up screen and (i think) a kernel panic. i switched the stock gfx card with an older one i had and it worked! so i think my card is dead, but is it? i mean it was working fine untill i opend it up(yes i grounded myself) so is it toast or somthing else?
    thanks

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

It might be over-heating.

You could try to clean it, and re-paste the GPU, as it dries out. Worth a shot at least. ;)

3. hansolo669 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm

thanks nanofrog but i think for a 6 or 8 year old card its pretty good it lasted this long. i let it cool down and still, mesed up boot and ( i think) a kernel panic:eek:. but as a last resort i might try re thermal pasting it :)

:apple:

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

I've had them last longer. I still have an old 486 sitting around, and it still fires up with the original graphics card. :eek: Beyond ancient. :p

5. hansolo669 thread starter macrumors regular

lol yes, thats caveman old;)
    now the question is, did you have that card in a super hot mdd:p

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

Nah. No PPC based systems. :D

Though the Nehalem might actually out cook the MDD, especially if it contains a high end graphics card (HD4870 or GTX285 for example). :eek: They do run on the HOT side. :p

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Um... Don't forget there are Mac collectors out there with machines dating to Apple's birth and they're still working!

..then again 6~8 years for a chinese made videocard is fairly impressive..most things just self-destruct after a year... lol

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Well where do you think they make anything electronic (mainstream & high production volumes) these days?!? The US/Europe/Japan? :eek: It's just not cheap enough in those locations. They want those derivatives (fractions of a penny) from labor, lack of environmental regs,.... :D :p

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Well it's not the US, Eu or Japan that's for sure! Cause all those people are outta work and trying to recuperate from the recent down turn..
    China's meant to be slaving for us but since all the export orders have dried up... I'm not sure. Maybe North Korea? LOL

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

No doubt. :D

Somehow it's expected that low paying service jobs will make everything better. Forget the fact that those types of jobs have been gaining since the ~ late '08's, and hasn't helped, but actually exacerbated the issue.

Though it's not ideal, China's standard of living has been improving, while it's been declining in the US, Europe, and Japan from what I've read/heard.

It's just a transfer of wealth, and at least the Chineese government and some of the corporations have become extremely wealthy as a result. So I'm sure they're quite happy about it. :p

11. hansolo669 thread starter macrumors regular

lol true, i emaild the people i bought this from and theyr going to replace it :) yay(btw i got it from adoptamac.com)