Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoverX

macrumors member
Original poster
May 8, 2009
Hey There,

So I was wiping down my 2010 17" MBP with a slightly damp cloth. Ever since then there seems to be a dead zone on the trackpad. If I slide my finger from the bottom to the top the mouse stops responding in a certain region. Funny thing is that it seems less responsive when i move my finger up/down vs left/right.

Have I somehow damaged my trackpad by either pressing too hard or letting a little water in the crack?

Wattser93

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
The bottom half inch of my trackpad doesn't respond, I'm guessing that's what you're talking about. I doubt they would replace it over something so small. It's not really a big deal to me because it doesn't affect usability.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
The bottom half inch of my trackpad doesn't respond, I'm guessing that's what you're talking about. I doubt they would replace it over something so small. It's not really a big deal to me because it doesn't affect usability.
That part, the one you're talking about, doesn't respond because it is meant for clicking. You can browse the trackpad with 1 finger while holding another finger at that bottom area to click with.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I had brought this up during an unrelated appointment at the genius bar. He ended up checking it on another Macbook pro, and it did the same, tried it on an Air....same thing. Translation oddly enough, perfectly normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.