deadpixels + acd

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleNewton, Jan 23, 2008.

1. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

How many deadpixels is too many for a 30" display?
    i recently got a ACD from the apple online store and it came with plenty of shiney green dead pixels in random locations.

i mean i guess im gonna be quite anal about a n1800$ purchase...

anyone ever go through a return for one or any tips, i work with alot of dark colors and black backrgounds for B&W photography. but these shiney green pixels really get in they way of the work and for 1800$ kind of a hefty price to pay for something that isnt completely upto par.

thanks in advance

:apple:

2. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

And here's me walking back into the apple store and saying new one please with a smile on my face. Don't put up with that, I never have dead pixels in my new LCD's.

Atleast not that I have ever noticed.

3. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

great answer, i just dislike dealing with the genius bar genius' anything they can do to not take care of something, especially a monitor discrepancy.

i will head over there tomorrow and see what i can do, i too do not accept dead pixels and i already have a secondary monitor with absolutely NO Dead pixels or stuck pixels

ill repost how it goes tomorrow, any other information or tips would be great.

thanks!!!

4. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Don't even go to the genius bar (unless they make you prove it or you pay a restocking fee). Just walk in and say, I just purchased this and would like a new one without dead pixels. End of story. If they won't, just return it and then ask to buy a new one.

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Yeah I would take it back and demand a new one. How many green dots are we talking about as I think apple will only accept 5 or more?

6. Beardy man macrumors regular

and...?

we're waiting...

7. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

they couldnt do a POS swop, so i just sent it back to apple and they are sending me a new one.

its generous but id really like to just take one out and take alook at it in the store. so well see how this one fairs.

it should arrive on Monday morning.

there were 2 -bright green in the front center
    and a 3 on the left and a one on the right side.

honestly ill keep exchanging or just a get a refund for the amount i purcahsed it for, as i work with all darks, theyre very apparent and i could see the green pixels from across the room on the big display.

8. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Well i received my replacement today , all is well jsut theres a stuck/dead pixel when viewing an all RED background. oh well. cant see it on grey, white, black or green or evenblue....so i guess thats the only complaint about it, so ah well.

love the large screen display atleast.

and i doubt apple will do a replacement of a one dead/stuck pixel.
    :p

9. xenoc macrumors newbie

If every LCD screen with 1 or 2 bad pixels gets returned, the cost of lcd screen will skyrocket. To be considered as defective lcd screen, there has to be a certain # of bad pixels in a radius of a dime or nickel. Also, some manufacturers will not consider lcd screen as defective if the bad pixels are in the perimeter of the screen.

xenoc

10. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Actually, Apple is the only company I've personally dealt with that's been this stringent on LCD screens. I got a replacement Hyundai monitor with relative ease when it was coming up with dead pixel lines on the screen a month after I bought it, and Nintendo/Sony take back DS's and PSP's with defective screens.

11. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

12. AppleNewton thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

yeah, Apple has interesting policies..so idk, i never enjoy or even wnat to go into the apple store to deal directly with trying to even bother for an exchange or refund, especially on technicalities like this, knowingly its their policy to convince the consumer otherwise.

but i asked Steve personally, and i guess, it is what is. its not a huge dilemma but something that should be more clear or atleast alittle more flexibility...especially if youre going to be spending $$ and staring at it for long periods of time lol.

i was just curious about his opinion, i just responded by saying thank you for your time and understanding, i appreciate all the technology and products you an dapple deliver to us, and now it makes some sense to get it from an insider on the industry and from someone within the company at that level.

good to know i suppose.

13. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I just got a new 23" ACD, no dead pixels. Ever so slight, dark, fuzzy, horizontal band running from side to side just about dead center though. Only visible on certain shades of gray and blue.

I'm not going to press my luck. I'm sticking with this one. I'll take it from Steve that it's hard to manufacture them any better on a continuous basis.

14. pellucidity macrumors member

I guess I shouldn't complain.

On a new 30", I have one pixel near the edge which can display all the colors, but is always slightly darker than the rest. I don't have a card that can drive the full res yet, so I'm just exercising the panel.

I had a pixel stuck blue on my iMac, but that rubbed away minimal effort.