Deal or no Deal - $690 for old 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac8867, Apr 20, 2011.

1. mac8867 macrumors 6502

OK, so this place, powermax, will give me $690 for my mid-2009 MBP 13" as trade in credit on the purchase of a new macbook. Their list prices are $10 lower than the online mac store (full retail, I am not a student)

Deal or no Deal? Anybody ever work with them before?

2. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

They are just going to resale it for a higher price. A price that you could sale it for your self. If you okay knowing that your getting taken on your computer then or its worth it for you cause they are easier to deal with than maybe ebay you can go for it.

At the end of the day its your computer and if your happy with the price they will pay you that is all that matters really. But if it were me I would ebay it, sale it here or criagslist it.

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

This, dont bother about taking it back as they aren't going to give you the whole amount it is worth because they want to make some money off it.

4. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Look on eBay and CL to see what they are going for...

If you do list on eBay, put in your ad you will not ship under any circumstances and buyer must come to your part of town to see it.... cash only.

I also only use a google voice #...

Don't let them know your home address...

CL'ers like to low ball.

5. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

seems like a fair trade-in price ... how much more could they make reselling it?

7. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Uh... what else would you expect them to do... take a loss on it?

8. mac8867 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the one big advantage for me, is that I do not have to work without a laptop at any moment. Basically, I can buy the new one, receive it, configure etc etc, clean up the old one, send it in and get a credit applied to my credit card. I use my laptop daily for work, so it's pretty important to not have down time.

I was really interested in 2 types of feedback. The first being the price the offered, which in typical business sense, seemed fair. The second was if anyone had any experience with the vendor.

9. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

What's the spec on the machine (processor, RAM, HDD)?

I think $690 is too little, for any 2009 MBP.

10. andytran macrumors newbie

In my country (Vietnam), used MBPs 13" Mid 2009 are usually sold for 17M - 18M VND dongs which equals $800 - $850.

11. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

For that price I wouldn't trade it in. I'd keep it around as a second computer, even if I didn't use it much. I'm a hoarder!

12. mac8867 thread starter macrumors 6502

So the spec is:
    13" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz, 8GB Ram
    Hard drive is probably the 180 that it came with, I have an SSD that will NOT be going with it.

I figured that when the 2010 model came out, the Apple store was selling this machine for $1100 new. With the 8GB upgrade not really being worth what it used to be, it seemed to me that it would be worth selling for around $850. For the extra $150, I am just not sure it's worth it.

On that note, the concept of keeping it around as a spare was my original intention. Perhaps I will just stay with it for the year and wait for the '11 machines.

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

It's low, but not so stupid crazy low as to be unreasonable. CL and eBay sales will probably make you more $, but then there's the inherent idiot factor that you deal with there and the inconvenience. It's a matter of what that's worth to you. I'd be doing what you're doing, i'd be considering it. Keep in mind though that shipping, ins, etc all bite into that offer.

14. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I read this thread as "$690 for a 13 year old". I was intrigued. :eek:

15. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Well, Mac2Sell -- whose valuations have been low of late -- still value this machine at $910. I don't know about you, but $220 is a significant amount to pass up for convenience, in my opinion. (It's like a free iPhone!)

Mac2Sell MacBook Pro unibody 13 inch

16. technopimp macrumors 6502a

It's a matter of convenience vs. $$...just like trading in a car. It should be pretty easy to sell this (I actually recommend Amazon, much easier than eBay as you don't need to take pictures or write descriptions, they handle processing the payment, etc.). If you sell it anywhere other than CL you're probably going to "lose" about $75 or more in fees, so if you can get $900 for it after fees and shipping you'll probably net ~$800. If $110 isn't worth that time and effort, you should just trade it in.

Or, I will give you $690 for it. :)

17. alexxn macrumors regular

I would be tempted to use them myself but I'd lose out on my Education discount.