Deal or No Deal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by notatrumpetpro, Jul 18, 2008.

1. notatrumpetpro macrumors member

Is $300 for a 4GB iPhone ridiculous? The phone is in good condition. Comes with just a charger and rubber case. The phone has been in the case since the person has had it.

Another option is $300 for an 8GB that has two small dents on the back and some scratches.

Also it's possible to downgrade 2.0 and unlock them right? These are all of course 1st gen phones. Any help would be great.

Thank you.

2. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

Maybe he wants to unlock and use it with T Mobile. Which makes more sense than getting the iPhone 3G because the 3G network won't work with tmo 3G.

4. notatrumpetpro thread starter macrumors member

Bingo!

I have T-Mobile and don't want to spend $199 or $299 on the iphone then another $70 for the first month of att service, have to keep service for a month or they take the phone back, and then on top of that the $175 early termination fee. (The fee for all of that would be $444 or $544 depending on 3G phone.) Also, the features that make the 3G iPhone different don't work on Tmobile, GPS wannabe, and 3G network.

I'm trying to buy one on Craigslist and locally, those are the two options I've seen. $300 for a near perfect condition 4GB iPhone or $300 for a pretty beat up 8GB iPhone. I plan on putting it in some sort of case anyway which is why I'm considering the beat up 8GB. I am just not sure how great these prices are so was asking the community for some advice.

Thanks again.

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Ahh I see. You could still use the 3G on EDGE. However it seems your budget is $300.00? I think both of those prices are BS, but that might just be because I got an 8GB for $250.00 from AT&T when they had refurbs.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I sold my 4GB for $400, so it is a good deal.

7. illutionz macrumors 65816

If you want, I am also selling my 4GB iPhone 2G... you can send me a PM regarding more details

8. notatrumpetpro thread starter macrumors member

Well I've done more looking into prices and it's not really certain what these phones should go for. $300 isn't my limit but I don't want to spend a ton of money on something like an iPhone I'm hacking.

I think I'm going to end up buying an 8GB 2G iPhone that has been in a clear hard case since it was purchased and has a screen protector on it plus the docking station, sync cable, and the hard case it's been in for $340.

A few clarification things though. It has loaded 2.0, I can downgrade it to 1.1.14 and unlock/jailbreak right? I know there is rumor about the Dev team releasing a 2.0 unlock soon. My other question is, can I take off the screen protector without leaving a sticky residue? Or should I just leave it on? Does it work better with or without the screen protector on?

Thanks.

9. illutionz macrumors 65816

If you have a loaded 2.0 iPhone, you can downgrade but you need to have iTunes 7.5 because with iTunes 7.7 it is not possible any longer. Also, very very soon, the Dev Team will release the Pwnage Tools for iPhone 2G 2.0 that will jailbreak and unlock them :) Should use that instead of 1.1.4 because 2.0 = Awesome :p
    Been using 2.0 for a while and it's the best thing on earth

10. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I've been keeping up with the dev team, sounds like unlock/jailbreak will be ready for release next week. (no 3G unlock yet though)

11. notatrumpetpro thread starter macrumors member

Who hasn't been :p

Thanks for the clarification though!

Does anyone know about the screen guards though?

12. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

As far as I know screen protectors don't leave residue. They work fine on the iPhone. Bodyguardz and the static cling type are two I've tried.

13. illutionz macrumors 65816

Installer.app + App Store = Happy Fun Time :D

PS: By the way, I forgot to let you know that my iPhone is on 2.0 firmware if you haven't noticed