deal with existing 02 non iphone customers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigcol1983, Jun 9, 2008.

1. bigcol1983 macrumors member

just wondering what the deal is for non iphone existing customers of 02. can we upgrade early with the price of handset and new 18month contract or will we have to pay a price to get out of our existing 02 contract.

currently on 18 month 7 months into it , bought last november 07

anyone know this yet! x

2. Wuzz macrumors newbie

Wuzz

According to their website, it doesn't look like it. Althought I'm hoping for some leeway! I'll be 9 months into a 12 month contract then and keen to upgrade! I'm also a select customer, so fingers crossed!

3. bigcol1983 thread starter macrumors member

do you think it will be customers previous to announcement to get transfered to new iphone contract with no charge and people that want to transfer after last nite wont be eligible.

does that make sense its 1am in morning lol

4. chappy87 macrumors regular

Basically exactly the same as if we were buying new- they're just offering to end our current contracts now if we buy a 3G and start over again.

5. bigcol1983 thread starter macrumors member

chappy what im saying is that we arent on the iphone tariff just a normal 02 monthly 1, im on a 18month

6. chappy87 macrumors regular

Ah sorry, didn't realise you meant that. From their website:

"With O2 but don't have an iPhone?

Existing O2 customers can also switch to iPhone. We'll contact you when you're eligible for an upgrade and talk you through the best options."

7. bigcol1983 thread starter macrumors member

8. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

I'm trying to find this out too. Currently on a simplicity contract. I know its only a month at a time, but do I have to take out the new iphone contract while my simplicity is cancelled the following month, or is the simplicity contract just changed to the iphone one? There is nothing of use on the website.

9. blueharvester macrumors regular

I am an non-iPhone O2 customer with an 18 month contract that doesn't end until November and I was in my local O2 store last night and the sales assistant told me that I would be able to upgrade to the iPhone with no problems.

Obviously I will need to start a new 18 month contract on one of the new tariffs but she assured me that O2 are allowing all existing non-iPhone customers to upgrade their existing contract to an iPhone 3G.

10. bigcol1983 thread starter macrumors member

does it cancel out your exsicting 02 contract so you only have 1 iphone contract, thats what i want. this is exciting

11. blueharvester macrumors regular

Yes, she said that I could upgrade my existing contract.

12. bigcol1983 thread starter macrumors member

why doesn't it tell you than on 02 website, was it news they got from head office or something, can they do the upgrade to new contract on day of release then?

anyway to pre-order at store to guarantee 1 on launch day?

email me ur in same situation as i am so i would like to keep intouch with ur thoughts and what u find out,

afsc14196@blueyonder.co.uk

13. blueharvester macrumors regular

From what I was told, I will be able to upgrade there and then. Can't pre-order though. They did say that the retail stores tend to get better stock levels than online, so it's better upgrading instore. This could've been just sales talk though.

I will post anything else I find out on here.

14. bigcol1983 thread starter macrumors member

thats great news, better than what ive had in response from 02 in email, told me i had to pay 385 to cancel my contract even tho i still wanna be a 02 customer and want another 18month contract with a iphone 3g. why dont they publish this info on website, they will have more customers. people keep saying u cant upgrade due to u signing for a contract and have to stick to it but not all phones on 02 have there own tariffs so this is where i think 02 need to think about existing non iphone 02 customers eh

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Probably because the final details have not been sorted out yet?

I still think the upgrade route for existing O2 users will only apply to those with around 3 months or less left on their present contract.

Remember all current O2 customers (non-iPhone) are using subsidised phones and I don't think O2 is just going to write off the costs… No matter how creative their accounting. ;)

Of course I may be wrong. :eek: :)

16. blueharvester macrumors regular

I agree. Although I reiterated to the guy in the shop that my contract isn't up until the end of November and he was pretty sure that I could upgrade. So unless you can only upgrade with less than 6 months on an 18 month contract.

But like you said, I suspect all details haven't been finalised yet.

17. mcq13371 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've just asked the same question to the o2 upgrades team.

I'm 9 months into an 18 month contract (been an o2 cutomer for 6 years) and I was told I would only be allowed to upgrade one month before the end of my 18 month term.

However, in certain circumstances they would consider allowing an earlier upgrade to the iPhone, subject to the coustomer buying themselves out of their existing contract, the cost of which I can onoly assume means that they recoup the cost of any subsidized handset.

Hope that helps.

18. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That is what I have heard as well.
    They won't take a loss on their present subsidised phones and are hoping to go after people joining from other networks…

19. blueharvester macrumors regular

I really hope not - I've just sold my touch this morning!! Anyway I suppose we'll soon find out. Fingers crossed.