dealer login and order form

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by monta17, Jun 27, 2012.

1. monta17 macrumors member

I have created my first Dreamweaver site and now need to create a login to get to the dealer section of the site. Once there I also need to create an order form.
    I am quite new to all of this and don't have a clue how to do this in Dreamweaver. I've been searching and keep coming up with info that is talking about PHP and such. I have no idea what they are talking about. If this is what I need to use, can someone direct me to somewhere that would give me step by step info relating to these issues? Or is there a better...easier :) way?

If it helps at all, here is a link to the site I am working on:
    http://www.lakeshoreproducts.com/barbara/index.html

Thanks a bunch!

2. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

You're not going to be able to do that in Dreamweaver. You'll need to either crack into backend code via PHP, or investigate using a third-party system like Shopify or Magento.

3. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

The reason you keep running into "PHP" is because this is the language which most systems that deal with users use. I would recommend getting professional help on this one. Pay a web developer to build you a simple login script.

Like the above user said, third-party software is also an option but may be a bit heavy for just this.

4. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all of the advice.

Just one thing...

I now realize that I didn't explain it exactly right. The login will just be a password (not a user name) that we supply to the dealers (the same password for everyone), ... not a thing where each dealer creates their own user name and password.
    Does this make any difference, or would I still use the methods suggested above?

Thanks.

5. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Yes, you'll still need back end code to do that. PHP is a common choice. What is the functionality of the "order form"?

6. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

The dealers will use the order form to place their orders with us, however there will be no payment taking place through the form, so no need for any of that.

7. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Yes, you're definitely going to need to use back-end code for this system.

8. monta17 thread starter macrumors member

9. Jamesbot macrumors member

you may be able to handle password-based authentication using .htaccess

that way you wouldnt actually need to code an authentication component, you'd just stick your form in a protected directory on the server.

you'd still need some kind of script to handle the order form tho..

10. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

You can in fact protect pages through Cpanel this way. Although I haven't seen it been done anywhere for quite some time