Dealing With Apple Customer Relations - Heating Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rizolicious, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Rizolicious, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Rizolicious macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

i've had my mac for 2 months and had nothing but problems. i stream videos and play the odd game of minecraft, possibly the least graphically intensive game ever? lol

but i have very high temperatures and fan speeds, very loud etc.

anyways, i complained about it in my first week, and they sent me out a brand new mac.

a while after, i complained about it again, they took it away, and replaced the logic board.

i am now in the process of complaining about it today, the guy got some capture data and is looking into it and will email me later. i don't want to have problems with my mac constantly, and don't want to keep sending it away to get repaired etc. this will be the 3rd time?

what do i do? thanks guys.

2. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

First of all, how hot are we talking?

iStat Pro is an easy way to find out, and it's free.

3. Rizolicious thread starter macrumors newbie

when streaming a video (watching the ufc on facebook) it was 95 degrees and about 6000 rpm fan speeds. this was continuous throughout the 3 hours.

when playing minecraft, 95 degrees with 6000 rpm, again, continuous.

used i stat pro for this info, taken screen shots etc.

4. Rizolicious thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Babybandit macrumors regular

Which Model of MacBook Pro would be helpful too, and maybe specs. If it's old, consider cleaning the fan? That helped me quite a bit!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Update to the latest version of flash and run all software updates, once that is done, reset the SMC and report back.

Flash content heats things up because flash was poorly written for OS X, and Minecraft isn't all that well written either.

With that said, all Macs run hot, it's a byproduct of having a very powerful computer inside a thin aluminum case. The fans just don't have much air to move around to cool the components. Consider yourself lucky, the very first MBP's idled at about 60-65C. The new ones idle around 40C, there has been some improvement at the very least.

7. Rizolicious thread starter macrumors newbie

all that has been done, did it with apple on the phone yesterday.

still the same issues. said they are getting back to me on monday and see where to go next.

8. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I play Minecraft on a regular basis and, yes, it gets hot. The game shouldn't be graphics intensive, but it is because the coding is unrefined. Flash is also known to cause heat issues because it is power-hungry. Apple doesn't support flash on iDevices for a reason. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but look around! Half of the threads in this section of the forum are about heat issues. Obviously MacBook Pros get hot. If you were having a real heat issue your Mac would shut off automatically. If both the original MBP and replacement MBP were getting hot, then it should be pretty clear that this particular brand of computer gets hot when doing processor/graphics intensive tasks.

Also, consider where you are placing your MacBook Pro. Is it on a hard or soft surface? If it's a carpet or bed the air flow is restricted.

9. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

The CPU is very powerful, and the enclosure of a laptop is very tight. There just isn't a whole lot of room to put in big fans and coolers. 90-95C is normal for max load, and within the design envelope of the CPU.

6000RPM for the fan is normal when the CPU sits at 90+ C. :) If the CPU gets too hot, it will start to throttle down automatically to protect itself, or even shut off altogether. That it has not done so is evidence your computer is functioning normally. :)

If the noise bothers you, look for software that enforces clock speed throttling on your CPU. That'll make it run slower of course, but may help with the fan noise. Or...err...put on some nice music or something...in a set of headphones perhaps. Heh.

10. Rizolicious thread starter macrumors newbie

i watched a youtube video on full screen for 10 minutes yesterday.
    it got to 95 degrees and the bottom was too hot to touch.
    this was on a hard surface.

nobody can tell me what is normal?

11. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

it shouldn't be this high with streaming video (even if it's flash LOL)

like the other posters said... tell us what mac ur talking abt... ur not being very helpful.

95 C with 6000 rpm continuously while watch flash is way high in my opinion.

12. Rizolicious thread starter macrumors newbie

It's the MacBook pro mc700
    The latest 13'' model.
    £999.

13. fattire357 macrumors regular

While technically you are correct, user experience is important too. there is something really uncomfortable about having a 95 degrees Celsius box on your lap as you are laying down watching a movie. I actually very mildly burned myself that way once.

2011 13" MBP i7

14. JuanGuapo, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Proper handling Set up your MacBook on a stable work surface that allows for adequate air circulation under and around the computer. Do not operate your MacBook on a pillow or other soft material, as the material can block the airflow vents. Never place anything over the keyboard when operating your MacBook. Never push objects into the ventilation openings.
    The bottom of your MacBook may become very warm during normal use. If your MacBook is on your lap and gets uncomfortably warm, remove it from your lap and place it on a stable work surface.

Do not leave the bottom of your MacBook in contact with your lap or any surface of your body for extended periods. Prolonged contact with your body could cause discomfort and potentially a burn.

It's all in your user manual: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/macbook_13inch_mid2010_ug.pdf

15. Rizolicious thread starter macrumors newbie

i have always had my mac on a hard table, or a glass table.

i have even held my mac mid air for testing the temperature problem, and it still has the same issue.

16. Rizolicious thread starter macrumors newbie

they offered me a refund so i will probably take that, and try and get a second hand older mac, like the 15'' A1286

17. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

If you want that kind of power in that slim of a package, heat will be a fact of life unfortunately.

18. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

For Minecraft, download the OptiMine/OptiFog mod from HERE - the title and world select screens have no FPS cap so it will race at around 3500fps since the app has nothing else to do. The OptiMine mod has a "Performance : Vsync" option which will help there. The mod also boosts performance for low spec machines and offers enhanced graphics options to better ones.