Dealing with iPhone 5 speculation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tirk, Dec 10, 2010.

1. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

Assuming that Apple don't intend to release the next generation iPhone in January, does anyone expect Apple to say or do anything to damp down the speculation? After all, there must come a point at which it starts to affect sales of the current devices?

Have there been similar situations in the past, and if so do we have any relevant past experience of what Apple have done?

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

iPhone is selling great. They don't have to say anything as the sales speak for themselves. There will be NO IPHONE 5 in January. And lastly, no need to start a new thread for this. There's numerous iPhone 5 threads as is.

3. alent1234 macrumors 603

apple are the ones feeding the speculation. it's called marketing

4. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I think the refresh rate has been fairly constant after the initial iPhone. Again, just guessing here along with everyone else, but I really don't see Apple refreshing again till the usual June timeline.

5. tirk thread starter macrumors 6502

tirk

Rubbish! Marketing is "creating the environment for sales". I don't see that Apple suggesting these was a better product in a few weeks could do anything to assist them in shifting the current phones.

Not that I think they are doing that, or that a new generation iPhone is imminent either.

6. tirk thread starter macrumors 6502

tirk

That would be my guess too, FWIW.

7. tirk thread starter macrumors 6502

tirk

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I don't think there will be a January iPhone 5 either, but this thread isn't intended (as all the others seem to be) to speculate on such a fictitious phone, rather to wonder if Apple might react to such speculation, or if they had in similar circumstances before.

8. Trakker macrumors member

Too many kiddies wanting an iPhone 5 as their 3GS contracts shall be up soon so Mummy & Daddy can pay for it me thinks.

9. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

The waiting and speculating for the next iphone will never end. For me, if you need a smart phone now and have the money to buy it then go for it. You will enjoy it so much more than waiting endlessly.

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

another one, jeez,
    THERE WILL BE NO IPHONE 5 IN JANUARY

Apple traditionally releases a new iPhone between June and July.
    Thank you for understanding :)

11. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

your right this is the first time apple has ever had strong consumer demand for any of their products. And therefore logically it follows, that apple would stop production of a product that they can't keep in stock on the shelves, and rev up production for a product not even announced yet, and push up the release date by (at least) six months.

makes perfect sense to me. Quick someone contact the NY times.

12. tirk thread starter macrumors 6502

tirk

I wish people would read before they post!! I know there won't be, I clearly said so in the first post! :(

13. firewood macrumors 604

Sales of the 3GS dipped a few weeks before the i4 shipped, and sales of the 3G dipped a few weeks before the 3GS shipped.

Whatever the i5 might be, it's probably reasonable to expect sales to dip and Apple to start clearing inventory of i4's a few weeks beforehand.

14. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

So your asking if apple will say anything to "quiet" people down about the ip5 speculation in January? I think a ether question would have been if they would say anything if there is no verizon iPhone in January. But to answer your main question, did they say anything about the white iPhone 4? There you go...