Dealing with only one cable provider

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by .JahJahwarrior., May 21, 2011.

1. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

About to move in to a new apartment. We have to pay $50 a month for basic cable, and are not allowed to avoid that expense. Adding a DVR requires adding HD and it gets expensive! Especially compared to other services such as AT&T or Verizon Fios. However, apparently, those services don't have cables in our area, and so we are stuck with the one provider.

Satellite is not an option as apparently, our room faces the wrong way...

We'll get internet through the phone line with AT&T, but I can't find any way around the ridiculous cable fees charged by this monopoly (which, interestingly enough, was challenged in court, and the cable company lost-- at the end of next year, they have to open it up for other companies, by which time we will be out of the apartment). I'm sure someone else has faced this...any good solution for a full complement of cable TV like services through the DSL? A DVR is a must, and a few channels like HGTV. We use Netflix already but I don't know how to replace HGTV. I do use an Apple TV and would buy other boxes as necessary to avoid the nearly $60 per month dvr and hd fees through the monopoly company...

Is this a common practice? First time I've ever bought cable on my own, and I'm amazed that a monopoly is that legal!

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would say give up the cable and just use internet for everything. A friend of mine cable was the ways yours was the first year for both internet and cable as they were the only provider to the complex. Prices dropped and speeds went up the following year when AT&T and other providers could start offering service.

It sucks and you are getting screwed.