Dealing with returns at Apple store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by THX1139, Jan 20, 2009.

1. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Hello everyone,

I'm close to buying a Macbook Pro and with all the issues I've read about over the past couple of months, I'm worried that I'll get a bad one. Yeah, I realize that the majority of them are good, but I've read a bunch of posts here and on Apple support about defective machines. I suppose that a major defect is pretty easy to get replacement, but what about subtle issues like defective pixels or small dents? Does Apple charge a restocking fee if you aren't happy with the quality?

I guess the primary reason I'm asking is that there are some of you who have done multiple returns for various reasons. Did Apple charge you a restocking fee? I'm a graphic designer and if I wind up buying a MBP that has a pixel out or yellow screen, it would drive me crazy. I would definitely have to return it even if it costs me a restocking fee. I suppose I could go to the store with cash in hand and tell them I want to buy a MBP without defects. Is that too much to ask? I'd hate to pay a couple hundred bucks just to open a box and return it.

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

They will NOT charge you a restock fee if there is something wrong with it, and you just want to exchange for another same model. You may have to talk to manager to explain, and they may give you grief, but they will definitely exchange it for a new one.

Apple has an excellent track record of support, too. They're not going to sell you a junk machine and make you keep it. That's why they sell refurbished Macs too. People that have a small problem return an opened item, they fix the item and sell as refurbished.

Another thing, I would bet with about 95% certainty that your Mac will not have any problems. You hear a few peoples bad stories, but the truth is there are hundreds of great perfect stories that you don't hear. People have a natural tendency to complain but don't take the time to praise.

Best wishes and congrats on your new MBP!

3. schizoidwoman macrumors regular

On top of a steep hill in West Yorkshire.
    Scottsdale is right, people tend to report bad experiences better than good ones which is perfectly natural, as it warns other people about potential difficulties they may encounter. I've posted elsewhere about some excellent service I recieved from Apple but I also had another good experience.

I purchased my MacBook from the Meadowhall Apple Store and after a couple of months, the very edge of the wrist rest began to lift up a little bit (it was a patch about half an inch across and lifted by a few mils). I was worried it might well get worse so I booked an appointment at the Genius Bar and took it in, expecting they would probably fob me off or, best case scenario, replace the wrist rest.

When I got to the store, there was a brand new, boxed MB sitting on the counter waiting for me! The genius took the hard drive out of the old MB and swapped it to the new, apologised for the problem and that was that. I was absolutely amazed and totally delighted by it!

I know some people have had bad experiences but there are stacks of good stories too and overall, Apple do have an excellent reputation.

4. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

Thanks for the comments. Unless I'm extremely unlucky, I'm pretty sure I'll get a good machine - or Apple will make it right. The only other major issue I'm concerned about is getting a screen with a pixel out. Sounds trivial, but I do intricate graphic design work and it would drive me crazy. I think that Apple's pixel policy is 3 or more, or a cluster in a viewable area? That's where I'll probably run into the most trouble if I get a machine that has one or two bad pixels. I'm not sure if they would replace it without paying a restock fee. I suppose I could ask them before I buy?

Is there anyone reading this who has replaced their machine with a bad pixel? Did Apple charge you restocking fee?

5. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

6. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Again, Apple is going to ensure that your initial purchase is a perfectly working machine. While if your MBP gets a few dead pixels over a few years, Apple will probably not help you. However, most of what I have seen about dead pixels shows that it just doesn't happen very often. And if you initially open your new Mac and it has dead pixels, Apple will replace it. Restock fees generally happen when you have opened your Mac and just don't want to keep it. NOT when there is a problem with your new Mac and you just want a fully operational machine as you/and Apple would expect.

I think you have read a few too many stories. Again, people tend to report the bad. While you may read things like Apple wouldn't replace my display with five dead pixels, it's usually a used display and anything could have caused that. Pressing on display with fingers, something bumping the display, and etc.

Your initial machine will be fine. Your Mac over time will be as nice as the care you give it. If you don't damage it, it will PROBABLY never have a problem. AppleCare is a nice warranty. Buy it on eBay for a 60% savings. Buying on eBay is the same as buying from Apple when it comes to AppleCare.

Best wishes with your new MAC! They're all awesome.

7. THX1139 thread starter macrumors 68000

THX1139

Thanks for all the reassurances! I've been on the Mac platform since 1994 and have own many machines over the years. Currently, I'm using a Mac pro with 24" ACD, and I have an old G4 titanium laptop retired to a shelf somewhere. I think I just got a bit concerned because of all the problems reported (here and on Apple support) about the issues. I've never had to return anything so I was just wondering what the process was. Especially with dead pixels!

Thanks again.

8. filmweaver macrumors regular