Dealing with Sub-Folders in Application Folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jetheat, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Jetheat macrumors regular

Sometimes, when I install an application, it comes with its own folder instead of just an app file.

This folder is placed inside the Applications folder.

On my Stacks, i have also got access to the Applications folder.
    When I open that one and I click on the application icon, it then opens up its own folder and then I have to choose the app file to launch it.

Is there a one-step process to doing this rather than having to go inside the Applications/application folder?

I can place an alias in the Applications folder but then I'll have two items with the same name.

Is there an easier way?

JH

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Wirelessly posted (Erendiox: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Unfortunately, this is one of the shortcomings of stacks. Why not just use the dock? It's designed to be an application launcher.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

The original Stacks concept let you drag any random file from anywhere into a Stack. Unfortunately Apple must have felt this would confuse people, and removed the feature, its a pity.

4. Jetheat thread starter macrumors regular

So there's still nothing that can be done about an application within a folder within the applications folder?

how can I move it to the Applications folder and yet maintain its relationship with the original folder?
    JH

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You could probably:
    - open up the folder with the app (keep it open)
    - rename that folder with a "." infront so it becomes hidden
    - in your open folder with the app file, create an alias of it in the application folder

I think you have to make an alias of the app after you rename the folder to hide it. Im not sure if alias's still work if you rename the folder to just have a period, I would hope the system is smarter than that but Ive never tried it so its best just to be safe.

6. crayonshin macrumors member

use list view for the application stack?

What view are you using for your application stack? If you have 10.5.2 installed, you can try list view. Then, you can browse into the application's folder directly from the stack and just launch the application.

Or am I misunderstanding what you want to do?