Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today has a deal on Apple's new 27-inch iMac, offering up to $129 off on 512GB models. These are the models that Apple just launched last month with updated 10th-generation Intel processor options and True Tone displays.

iMac-27-inch-2020-sale.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The sale includes the 27-inch iMac with a 3.3GHz 6-core 10th generation Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, and a 512GB SSD for $1,869.92, down from $1,999.00. This $129 sale is the best discount that we've tracked among the major Apple resellers online.

Stock is limited, so be sure to head to Amazon soon if you're interested.

If you're looking for less storage, B&H Photo also has the 256GB 27-inch iMac for $1,699.00, down from $1,799.00. You can keep track of ongoing sales on Apple's iMac line by visiting our Best iMac Deals guide. There, we keep track of the best iMac offers from Amazon, Adorama, B&H Photo, and other retailers, so be sure to check back often if you're shopping for an iMac for the first time, or thinking of upgrading.

Article Link: Deals: 27-Inch iMac Sale Hits Amazon With Up to $129 Off Latest 2020 Model

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
Reactions: EndersShadow

lkrupp

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2004
It’s a shame the base model has only a puny 8GB of RAM. It’s a desktop for goodness sakes!! Why would anyone buy the base model?

Someone who only needs email, browsing, and simple word processing. The rest buy the base DRAM and then add third party DRAM at a much lower price than Apple’s.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
It’s a shame the base model has only a puny 8GB of RAM. It’s a desktop for goodness sakes!! Why would anyone buy the base model?
The same question can be posed on the high end. Why would anyone buy the fully loaded model at 128GB memory for +$2600.00? You can get 128GB memory for $600.00 elsewhere. Best to never buy memory from Apple (if its user serviceable) Which makes their included allotment a moot concern. Been that way for over 30 years.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

Easy enough to install less expensive 3rd party RAM on the 27”. I do agree that 8GB is not enough. Sort of like getting a new car with the gas fuel level in the “red” ;)

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
Great time to buy a new Mac! still has the Intel chip, get AppleCare and you will be set for the next 3 to 4 years! Trade it in when Apple has the new Mac Ax processors and OS 11 working like clockwork! Bootcamp works and you don't have to buy a Xbox Series X to play games or a PS5 :)
Definitely a bliss of a computer to have with enough power to weather most tasks. Go all in with the higher spec’ed powerful gpu ones and it’s ready to tackle then 99% of tasks for the next 8 years I think.
I use this 2020 model as the daily workhorse for 2D, 3D, gamedev programming, video editing and compositing... it chews it all, most of those apps often open at the same time, sometimes several instances of the same ones: many Unity, many XCodes, tons and tons of safari windows and tabs, all the chatting software out there (teams, messenger, iMessages, whatsapp, slack, zoom, you name it).
Add to this the comfort and convenience of the all wireless, all ready approach: get the thing out of the nice looking box, plug ONE cable to the power socket, and done... get ready to have keyboard, mouse, trackpad, Bluetooth connectivity, WiFi, camera, microphone, speakers (or wireless headphones if available) without installing a single driver, not one. Daisy chain thunderbolt monitors from the back, no drivers again... the working desk still looks clean, unconvoluted and flexible... the trackpad+keyboard+mouse is a big one, where they to have cables that would be a mess already to arrange and even more if moving them around (this by the way has been a paradigm change for me, having the trackpad ready on the left hand opens a world of navigation gestures that I didn’t know was possible while still relying on mouse clicks for precise pointing, I’m right handed).
This has been, in my life experience, the best computer I have ever had. By miles far.

amartinez1660

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2014
I bought the high’ish one (8 core, 2TB, 16GB gpu and fast Ethernet). But only 8GB... why? Because 16x2 GB stick pair costs less than $200, instead of the thousands that Apple charges. It can be truly maximized to 128GB of ram for a fraction of the price.
Now, why Apple charges so much? Is their ram special or something? I don’t know and I sure hope not, but for me until now it has been working flawlessly (with 8GB it came with + 32GB added). Later will add another 64GB if needed (OS X is legitly good with memory management for my use case).

Reactions: jazz1

Mac-key

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2010
Alabama

Yes this may be true... but I'm a media professional doing photography and video. I was surprised how well I get along with just 8GB of RAM. I run the full adobe creative suite and have zero problems whatsoever. When I bought my iMac I figured I would add more memory myself but never needed to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.