Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today is beating the Black Friday price we tracked on Apple's AirPods 3 last month, now available for just $139.99, down from $179.00. On Black Friday and Cyber Monday, we tracked the AirPods 3 at $149.99.

airpods-3-blue-holiday-2.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This sale is now an all-time low price on the AirPods 3, and Costco is matching this deal. In regards to Amazon, the AirPods 3 are in stock now and will ship in time for Christmas if you order soon.

Final price includes $29.01 taken off at checkout.

Shoppers should note that this is another Amazon deal that will be seen on the checkout screen, where you'll get an automatic coupon worth $29.01 applied to your order. This is a new pair of AirPods 3, and they're shipped and sold directly from Amazon.

We track sales for every model of the AirPods in our Best AirPods Deals guide, so be sure to bookmark that page while you shop around for the wireless headphones.

Article Link: Deals: AirPods 3 Drop to New Low Price of $139.99

Last edited:

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Oh man getting to the point where I almost have to get this. Was hoping to wait it out to next version though

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
What's the consensus on audio quality improvement over the prior generation (non-pro) AirPods? I haven't had a chance to test these out yet, but at this price point, I'm curious.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I had to return mine and buy the 2nd gen because they kept falling out of my ears. Shame because they sounded really good. And I don’t expect Apple to ever update the original form-factor which means I’ll be out of luck in the future.

ejfontenot

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008
Texas
I have pros but considering getting these also for conference calls and just a spare pair.

Anyone have both these and the pros? Use cases?

mnsportsgeek

Suspended
Feb 24, 2009
I have pros but considering getting these also for conference calls and just a spare pair.

Anyone have both these and the pros? Use cases?
I have a set of gen 1s and pros. Use the gen 1s when working because i don't want the noise cancelling if people try to come talk to me. Use the Pros for everything else.

If I only had 1 set, the Pros would be fine with ambient mode. But I already had a set of gen 1s when I got the pros.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I had to return mine and buy the 2nd gen because they kept falling out of my ears. Shame because they sounded really good. And I don’t expect Apple to ever update the original form-factor which means I’ll be out of luck in the future.
Same. Mine don’t really fall off if I’m just walking around or sitting. But if I lay down they easily came out at the slightest contact with anything. They certainly don’t fit as perfectly as the original design due to how bulbous they are now. I wish they would’ve just shortened the stem on the original ones instead. There was no need to mess with a longtime design that has proven to work for the vast majority of people other than for marketing purposes. Hopefully enough people submit feedback so they will consider updating the original design.

beach bum

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 6, 2011
Philly
Same. Mine don’t really fall off if I’m just walking around or sitting. But if I lay down they easily came out at the slightest contact with anything. They certainly don’t fit as perfectly as the original design due to how bulbous they are now. I wish they would’ve just shortened the stem on the original ones instead. There was no need to mess with a longtime design that has proven to work for the vast majority of people other than for marketing purposes. Hopefully enough people submit feedback so they will consider updating the original design.
I found the new design really weird and returned the 3rd gen for the new Beats Fit Pro which is a much better fit and the sound is amazing. I thought for sure that the new design might fit better than the original. Looks like I'll have to stick with the APPs and the Beats.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Same situation and agree 100% on your points.

Reactions: happygodavid

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
I have them. Better bass and wider soundstage, plus spatial audio support if you're into Dolby Atmos. A significant upgrade from the previous gen.

What about comfort? I've read some big complaints about the 3rd gen not being as smooth of a fit and 'forgettable' as the 1/2nd gen, and it seems like a lot of folks are returning them and going back to 1/2's design. And if it's relevant, I tried the AirPods Pro a while back and hated them because of the in-ear tips.

spcgry

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2020
Edmonton, AB, Canada
What about comfort? I've read some big complaints about the 3rd gen not being as smooth of a fit and 'forgettable' as the 1/2nd gen, and it seems like a lot of folks are returning them and going back to 1/2's design. And if it's relevant, I tried the AirPods Pro a while back and hated them because of the in-ear tips.
I may be in the minority but the 3s fit my ear just as good as the 2s. I've tried wearing them in different environments – walking, running, taking transit, while working at my home office, before sleep (and leaving them on overnight) – and I feel confident wearing them. I did feel some discomfort during the first week of usage (couldn’t wear them continuously for >2 hours), but it went away after the "break-in" period. That would be a minor caveat, I think.

Reactions: SantaFeNM

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
I may be in the minority but the 3s fit my ear just as good as the 2s. I've tried wearing them in different environments – walking, running, taking transit, while working at my home office, before sleep (and leaving them on overnight) – and I feel confident wearing them. I did feel some discomfort during the first week of usage (couldn’t wear them continuously for >2 hours), but it went away after the "break-in" period. That would be a minor caveat, I think.

Cool, that's good to hear that they were comfortable after an adjustment period. I think I'll stick with my gen 2's for now, since they work fine - maybe once the battery life starts to dwindle, i'll consider an upgrade.

Reactions: spcgry

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
These sound a bit better than previous gen, but for me they were way way less comfortable.

For my ears, they made the "bulb" thing too big.

General Airpod usage for me needs to be light, easy, long term comfortable, quick to pop in/out -- they sort of ruined all that for me with these.

I think I'm an AP2 user for the foreseeable future

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
There was no need to mess with a longtime design that has proven to work for the vast majority of people other than for marketing purposes. Hopefully enough people submit feedback so they will consider updating the original design.

I agree completely.

I really hope they consider an "AirPods SE" update to the classic AP1/AP2 style.

This type of product is one that really can't have enough variations.
Peoples ears and preferences are all over the place, and many many options is a great thing.

Reactions: Caliber26

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I think I'll bite even though I got Airpods Pro last month for $119 (The $50 and $29.99 credits all free Amazon money)

Image 35.jpg

Reactions: cwwilson

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It is sort of interesting how aggressively these have been on sale since they released (which wasn't long ago at all).

It does make me wonder if they aren't selling nearly as well as Apple/retailers anticipated.

Reactions: LlamaLarry

suns93

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2017
I have owned AP1 and AP2 - loved them dearly. And my wife has APP so I have been able to give those a lot of test drives.

I can’t stand the Pros. As with all silicone tipped buds, I experience the skeleton-vibration phenomenon. Additionally, they are just plain uncomfortable in my ear. Lastly, noise cancellation has never appealed to me - I enjoy being aware of my surroundings.

So, I was disheartened when I saw the redesign for AP3. Why fiddle with such a great product?

Well, after seeing the Black Friday deal and discovering how much resale value my AP2 (mine over 2 years old) held, I decided to bite the bullet and try out the AP3. I could always return them and buy a new pair of AP2.

Well, I’m happy to report that I love the AP3’s! The fit is great, I haven’t had either fall out yet, nor experienced ear fatigue from wearing them for long periods. The bass is definitely improved. Battery life improved.

At first I thought the ‘squeeze’ was a downgrade from ‘tap’. But now that I’m used to it, I actually prefer it. Keep in mind that I don’t often run into situations where my hands are either very messy or so full that I can’t squeeze, but would be able to tap with a knuckle or what have you. I far, far more frequently need to pause when coming across a neighbor while walking the dogs. With the taps, sometimes I’d miss and have to tap again, which on several occasions wouldn’t register yet again, in which case I’m just yanking them out of my ear and haven’t been able to hear whole sentences spoken to me. I’ve never had a squeeze fail me.

Last edited:

aehaas

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
Osprey, FL
So you need to connect your AirPod to your iPhone to get it to update. the problem is that both are Lightning connectors. You need a Lightning connector to Lightning connector adapter? Where does one get this?

Thanks,

ali

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.