Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today is discounting the Magic Keyboard for both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, providing a $49 discount in both cases. Amazon introduced the discount on the 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard last Friday, and that deal is still happening.

Magic-Keyboard-Side-Anlge-Red.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

You can get the 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard for $299.99, down from $349.00, after a $29.01 discount is automatically applied at the checkout screen. Similarly, the 11-inch Magic Keyboard is available for $249.99, down from $299.00, after a $39.01 discount is automatically applied at checkout.

These sales offer the lowest prices that we've ever tracked for Apple's Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro. This accessory includes a trackpad, USB-C port, backlit keys, and a floating cantilever design. When closed, the Magic Keyboard also acts as a form of protection for your iPad Pro.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: Amazon Discounting Apple's Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro by $49, Starting at $249.99 for 11-Inch

jgassens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009
Hmmm... the prices on those links are not $49 off.

Ed. Oh, nevermind, the discount is after checkout. Derp. If only I could read.

HuRR

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2003
I had a bunch of Amazon credit decided to pick one up for my iPad Air 10.9. I'm going to try this out and see if I like it. I was thinking of getting the Logitech Smart Folio since I like that the iPad is completely enclosed. Hoping there are some magnetic back covers that work with the magic keyboard.

Toby_95

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2018
It is a great keyboard to type on which looks great but the lack of flexibility in positions and the price have always meant it’s a no-go. Logitech Folio touch is the way to go. Acts as a fairly decent case too

Reactions: Agit21

ajfahey

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2001
Moorpark, CA
Why does apple keep evolving iPads to look more like their laptops while at the same time keep evolving their laptops to look and work like iPads? Even their respective OS’s are converging. They must see them both converging 2-3 years out. Come on Apple, give us a MacBook Pro with a touch display and a removable keyboard. The keyboard could be used for supplemental battery storage to keep the weight of the display down.

mazz0

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I honestly couldn't really recommend this product to anybody even at a significantly reduced price. The material is just really bad. Just like the Smart Keyboard Folio it starts to looks horrible after a few weeks of us. It's a great typing experience, and its mechanism means it stands up in your lap much more easily that the Logitech one with the kickstand (and presumably other with kickstands), and it has a touchpad that you can click anywhere (I hate how you can only click the bottom half of the Logitech one), but the material ruins it, both as a product in its own right and especially as a case for another product.

It is a great keyboard to type on which looks great but the lack of flexibility in positions and the price have always meant it’s a no-go. Logitech Folio touch is the way to go. Acts as a fairly decent case too
It's heavy and really bulky though, and doesn't come off as easily as this does (and as mentioned, I hate touchpads that you can't click at the top). There's no perfect option it there? :(

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Pathetic price for what it is. I bought it for my iPad Pro 12.9 but geez it made it heavier than a Macbook Pro and more expensive too. Won't do that again.
For my Samsung Tab S7+ I got some offers for its similarly expensive keyboard case (about $120 with the offer) but I went for a cheaper come (about $30) and started using my existing Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard & Logitech Bluetooth mouse which serves my purpose.

These device specific expensive accessories must be avoided at all cost.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2016
Now cut the weight in half. No use having an iPad Pro with keyboard that weighs more and is bulkier than a MacBook Air M1. I sent my Magic Keyboard back when I realized it was so heavy and bulky.
It has to be that heavy to act as a counter weight or it will tip over due to the weight of the iPad. The MBA is lighter because it doesn't need a counterweight because all the components are in the body, not in the screen. If you want a keyboard AND a touchscreen AND lightweight, then you'll have to wait until Apple decides to backtrack on not having touchscreen laptops, but you might be waiting a while, as Apple can be extremely stubborn when they make a mistake (e.g. Butterfly keyboard, Touchbar...).

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2016
Why does apple keep evolving iPads to look more like their laptops while at the same time keep evolving their laptops to look and work like iPads? Even their respective OS’s are converging. They must see them both converging 2-3 years out. Come on Apple, give us a MacBook Pro with a touch display and a removable keyboard. The keyboard could be used for supplemental battery storage to keep the weight of the display down.
Removable screen means that all the components have to go behind the screen, making it top heavy without a counterweight added to the keyboard. The iPad with this keyboard literally already is the 2-in-1 you're asking for, just with iPadOs, not macOS, so the real change you're asking for is for macOS to be available for iPad.

jerryk

Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
It has to be that heavy to act as a counter weight or it will tip over due to the weight of the iPad. The MBA is lighter because it doesn't need a counterweight because all the components are in the body, not in the screen. If you want a keyboard AND a touchscreen AND lightweight, then you'll have to wait until Apple decides to backtrack on not having touchscreen laptops, but you might be waiting a while, as Apple can be extremely stubborn when they make a mistake (e.g. Butterfly keyboard, Touchbar...).

Agree with the physics, but it is more than that. They are trying to make the iPad something it is not, a laptop. They should not do this. If they want a laptop/tablet make it like the Surface. That is a much better compromise. Just a shame it runs Windows.

Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser

BigSmurf

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2018

Amazon today is discounting the Magic Keyboard for both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, providing a $49 discount in both cases. Amazon introduced the discount on the 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard last Friday, and that deal is still happening.

Magic-Keyboard-Side-Anlge-Red.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

You can get the 12.9-inch Magic Keyboard for $299.99, down from $349.00, after a $29.01 discount is automatically applied at the checkout screen. Similarly, the 11-inch Magic Keyboard is available for $249.99, down from $299.00, after a $39.01 discount is automatically applied at checkout.

These sales offer the lowest prices that we've ever tracked for Apple's Magic Keyboard for the iPad Pro. This accessory includes a trackpad, USB-C port, backlit keys, and a floating cantilever design. When closed, the Magic Keyboard also acts as a form of protection for your iPad Pro.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Deals: Amazon Discounting Apple's Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro by $49, Starting at $249.99 for 11-Inch

I like the magic keyboard on my old ipad pro (except that the keys don’t light up) but really, it is very expensive for what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.