Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following in the footsteps of Expercom and Walmart from last week, Amazon today has introduced its first ever discount on the new iPad mini 6. You'll find the 64GB Wi-Fi tablet in all colors except Purple at $459.99, down from $499.00.

iPad-mini-6-orange-BG.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Today's sale matches the same discount we saw at Walmart, which has since expired. This makes Amazon the best place to get a solid discount on the all-new iPad mini 6.

Only the 64GB Wi-Fi model is on sale at this time, and we're not seeing any cash discounts on Amazon for the 256GB model or either cellular version of the tablet. For the 64GB Wi-Fi iPad mini 6, you can get the discount in Pink, Space Gray, or Starlight.

This is technically a pre-order on Amazon, as the iPad mini 6 will not officially launch until this Friday, September 24. But once you place your order and lock in the sale price, Amazon Prime members will get the usual two-day shipping estimate.

For even more iPad deals, head to our full Best Deals guide for iPad. In that guide we track the best discounts online for iPad, iPad mini, iPad Air, and iPad Pro.

Article Link: Deals: Amazon Introduces Its First iPad Mini 6 Discount, Get the 64GB Wi-Fi Tablet for $459.99 ($39 Off)

Realityck

macrumors 68020
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
That's because no one wants the 64 GB version.
Hardly, it because store chains decided to almost match the edu discount which is not unusual. Walmart, Costco did the same. If your a casual iPad mini user you typically don’t use hardly any storage. For me I used less the 20GB because I don’t use it as media storage device when roaming to the same extent and stream most content.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
No starlight. :-(

Almost bought one… happy to help MR get affiliate revenue since MR is the best.

Darth Tulhu

Suspended
Apr 10, 2019
I assume that a device like this is used more like a thin client than anything else, with the storage heavy lifting being handled by the cloud.

In that regard 64GB is sufficient. I think Apple agrees, and that is perhaps why there's only two storage tiers.

Lucas Curious

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2020
I have the 256 gb mini 5 and had to fill it up with movies I never watch to fill half of it. I use the cloud so non need for the storage. but still ill wait for the mini 7 with 128 gb base

Reactions: Realityck

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I think its dumb that a mini costs more than the regular iPad. even before this update. The size of it should mean it should be less!

Apple has 3 iPad tiers. The first (cheaper) mini was based on the base iPad. This mini is based on the middle (air) iPad and $100 less than that iPad with better specs.

But realize that the major cost components like cameras and gpu don’t cost less to make just because the device is smaller. iPhones are smaller and only need an extra voice system and cost double.

And there isn’t a mini se but if you still want the base tier there should be plenty if mini 5 available this year

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyiPad95

martinocando

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2013
Hardly, it because store chains decided to almost match the edu discount which is not unusual. Walmart, Costco did the same. If your a casual iPad mini user you typically don’t use hardly any storage. For me I used less the 20GB because I don’t use it as media storage device when roaming to the same extent and stream most content.
Agree. I have my 12.9 M1 iPad Pro as my main computing device (Not using the Mac too much lately), and I plan to use the mini as a companion device for jotting down notes, watching content on the couch or in bed, and not for any heavy video editing. 64 is more than enough for me. And if I ever need some more, there is the new USB-C with 5GB/s speeds.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I assume that a device like this is used more like a thin client than anything else, with the storage heavy lifting being handled by the cloud.

In that regard 64GB is sufficient. I think Apple agrees, and that is perhaps why there's only two storage tiers.
You assume wrong. This thing is basically a Pro but with a more portable size. Photographers and videographers have been waiting for this thing since their mini 4’s began showing their age. Apple could have launched it a year ago but frankly the business world was so heavily invested in cases and peripherals that fit the old form factor that Apple gave the internals a bump to keep them going long enough to upgrade their equipment to accept the new form factor. In the meantime the biggest market for the new Mini are creatives like me, who need the power and size it brings and enough storage to get the job done.
Folks you mention are better off with the Mini 5 or even the new base iPad, as they don’t need Pencil 2 support or the improved cameras.

The Cappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
I think its dumb that a mini costs more than the regular iPad. even before this update. The size of it should mean it should be less!
Be careful of your epithets, lest everyone else see an irony that escapes you. The iPad mini has got a far superior screen (and not just in the superior DPI), a better processor, a redesign, USB-C, and technically superior TouchID. The regular iPad is packed with the cheap and old version of every single thing. Is Apple supposed to eat the cost just because it's "smaller"? And remember: miniaturization itself is expensive. It's often easier to make things bigger. For those who can't see past the price: the regular iPad.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G3
Mar 19, 2008
Is anyone else also a bit sad that the iPad Mini has less horizontal resolution (in points, looking at it in portrait orientation) than any other iPad ever released?

Yes - absolutely

It feels like they are now optimizing the aspect ratios for watching movies/video, which is simply not of importance to me. (I realize I am likely a minority)

Reactions: kyjaotkb

Darth Tulhu

Suspended
Apr 10, 2019
You assume wrong.
Perhaps, but you go on to do the same in the rant below.

This thing is basically a Pro but with a more portable size.
No, it's an Air but with a more portable size.

Photographers and videographers have been waiting for this thing since their mini 4’s began showing their age. Apple could have launched it a year ago but frankly the business world was so heavily invested in cases and peripherals that fit the old form factor that Apple gave the internals a bump to keep them going long enough to upgrade their equipment to accept the new form factor. In the meantime the biggest market for the new Mini are creatives like me, who need the power and size it brings and enough storage to get the job done.
That's a whole lot of conjecture. Sounds like what you want is a Pro Mini. Which ain't happening.

Folks you mention are better off with the Mini 5 or even the new base iPad, as they don’t need Pencil 2 support or the improved cameras.
Because the only reason people buy Apple products is for what they need, right?

Of course not.

In any case, my point was that Apple is targeting both customer types: those that use the iPad as a thin client, and those that do not, which having only the 64GB and 256GB storage tiers seems to indicate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.