Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPad deals continue this week with fresh discounts on the iPad mini 6 at Amazon, starting at $399.99 for the 64GB Wi-Fi model, down from $499.00. Amazon provides an estimated delivery window between August 10 and August 14 for most United States residences.

ipad-mini-purple.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

This $99 discount is available in all four colors of the iPad mini 6: Pink, Purple, Space Gray, and Starlight. Overall, this is a solid second-best price on the tablet and just about $20 higher than the record low price we saw during Prime Day.

Besides this model, there is only one other notable discount on the iPad mini 6 on Amazon right now. You can get the 256GB cellular tablet for $629.00, down from $799.00. At $170 off this is an all-time low price, and it's only available in Pink.

In addition to these iPad mini 6 deals, so far this week we've tracked discounts on the previous generation M1 iPad Pro at Woot and on the iPad Air at Amazon. All of these sales are still live and provide as much as 52 percent off select tablets.

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Amazon Takes Up to $170 Off iPad Mini 6, Starting at $399.99

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

PeterKeller

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2021
Canada
Love the cellular mini 6. It doubles as my phone (voip app with buds), so it's like I already have a permanently unfolded iPhone Fold with no crease. Bigger screen seems better for ALL apps. Cost of device and cellular data is much less. Ideal for my own needs.
That's clever. I use my iPhone with a Data-Only plan and a Voip App too.... I'm wondering if I could use the same account on both devices, so they both would work with my Voip number...

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
That's clever. I use my iPhone with a Data-Only plan and a Voip App too.... I'm wondering if I could use the same account on both devices, so they both would work with my Voip number...
When you say VoIP do you mean services like Google Voice?

I ask because I do that (I gave out Google voice to contractor and people I have just met). But I have notice there are times when website will not take VoIP numbers for registration and such. It says "Can't be VoIP number" or something.

How do you get around that?

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
Love the cellular mini 6. It doubles as my phone (voip app with buds), so it's like I already have a permanently unfolded iPhone Fold with no crease. Bigger screen seems better for ALL apps. Cost of device and 5G cellular data is much less. Ideal for my own needs.
Thanks for the comment. I've often wondered how the mini would do as a phone replacement. Congrats for making great use of yours!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Thanks for the comment. I've often wondered how the mini would do as a phone replacement. Congrats for making great use of yours!

Been doing it since 2012 (iPad Mini 2 Cellular). It's great: most of the key benefits minus the high prices, press to upgrade every few years and high cellular service costs. Many people don't believe it can even be used that way but telephony is simply an app, just like turning an iDevice into a flashlight or tape measure. If Apple would allow their own VOIP app to run on iPad, it would look and function just like an oversized iPhone.

Macs can be a "phone" with VOIP apps too. I was making and taking calls to/from phones on a MB way back in the early 2000s.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Yes, I'd love an iPad Mini that folds/rolls down to iPhone size for pocket-ability. That is a great advantage of iPhone vs. iPads.

But actually, the bigger point of folding phones is making bigger screens mobile. Everyone is working on ways to grow the mobile screen bigger than traditional phablet sizes. There are even folding screen laptop designs for bigger screen laptop R.E. Even Apple has taken a crack at it with Vpro (by virtualizing a device, it can have a mobile screen that is any size... in a physical package that remains the same size & weight).

I do wish it was pocketable, but I simply tuck it under an arm or use it in suit pockets when in business suits. I value pocket-ability, but not enough to pay up for iPhone and iPhone service subscriptions... and replace those iPhones more frequently because that's normal for iPhones (less so for iPads, which seem to have longer use lifespans). My last jump was from iPad Mini 2 to iPad Mini 6. I suspect the 9 or 10 is my next iPad and "phone" purchase out in about 2028-2030.

Is this for everyone? No, nothing is for everyone. For some, iPhone is absolutely essential and thus any pricing of device, service and replacements are all justified. However, this can be a good option, especially for those who mostly use any of the other hundreds of thousands of apps most of the time vs. the telephony one. I only take/make a relatively few amount of phone calls, but otherwise use it like crazy for texting, internet browsing and all other apps. It is perfectly fine for my mobile phone needs and costs a LOT less than 2-3 iPhones over the same use timetable... and high cellular service fees every month.

Last edited:

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.