Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Anker today is discounting a collection of accessories on Amazon, centering around its own MagSafe-compatible charger. Anker's version of MagSafe, the PowerWave Magnetic Pad, is on sale for $15.99 when you clip the $5 on-page coupon and then enter the code ANKER2560 at checkout. As a point of comparison, Apple's first-party charger is currently $34.00 on Amazon.

Anker-magasfe-feature-2.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

While the PowerWave Magnetic Pad is compatible with MagSafe, it does not support the fast 15-watt charging available with the official spec and is limited to 7.5 watts of charging power.

Anker first announced its line of MagSafe accessories at CES last month, and the PowerWave Magnetic Pad is one of the first to be available. Yesterday, Anker launched another accessory with the PowerCore Magnetic 5K Wireless Power Bank ($39.99), which magnetically attaches to the back of the iPhone 12. This device hasn't seen any discounts yet.

Otherwise, in today's sales you can save on a USB-C hub ($10 off) and a wide variety of Eufy smart home accessories. This includes a Smart Lock ($40 off), RoboVac ($80 off), and more.

Be sure to visit our full Deals Roundup to shop for even more Apple-related products and accessories.

Article Link: Deals: Anker's MagSafe-Compatible Wireless Charger Drops to $15.99 Today on Amazon

Last edited:

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
If I recall correctly, while magnetic - it’s not actual MagSafe and only supports 7.5W charging correct? No different than a standard QI mat. Just smaller and magnetic. A little disappointing but perhaps that’s where the low cost comes in. By not licensing Apples MagSafe standard.

I could see it being minimal impact to my 12 Mini though considering it’s smaller capacity battery and that it doesn’t charge at the peak rate anyhow. But would be slower than Apples own on a 12 or especially Pro Max.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
centering around its own MagSafe charger. Anker's version of MagSafe, the PowerWave Magnetic Pad,

It's inaccurate to represent this as MagSafe™. Besides the fact that it is not MFi licensed to use the term "MagSafe," it's does not support the 15W MagSafe charging spec.

MacRumors shouldn't play fast-and-loose with it's readers, and Apple's and Anker's customers like this. You should update the article accordingly.

Last edited:

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005

Anker today is discounting a collection of accessories on Amazon, centering around its own MagSafe-compatible charger. Anker's version of MagSafe, the Not-so-PowerWave Magnetic Pad, is on sale for $15.99 when you clip the $5 on-page coupon and then enter the code ANKER2560 at checkout. As a point of comparison, Apple's first-party charger is currently $34.00 on Amazon.

While the Not-so-PowerWave Magnetic Pad is compatible with MagSafe, it does not support the fast 15-watt charging available with the official spec and is limited to 7.5 watts of charging power.

Anker first announced its line of MagSafe accessories at CES last month, and the Not-so-PowerWave Magnetic Pad is one of the first to be available. Yesterday, Anker launched another accessory with the PowerCore Magnetic 5K Wireless Power Bank ($39.99), which magnetically attaches to the back of the iPhone 12. This device hasn't seen any discounts yet.

There. Fixed it. That should clear up any confusion.

davidjschloss

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
Yep, we've updated to note that it's MagSafe-compatible rather than true MagSafe and to point out the difference in charging speed. Sorry for the confusion.
Yeah but you still have the line "As a point of comparison, Apple's first-party charger is currently $34.00 on Amazon." Well it's $34.00 because it's 15W. It's an incorrect compassion and is still misleading. At very least that should say "...Apple's first-party charger is currently $34.00 on Amazon but that charger supports 15W charging, while the Anker only supports 7.5W"

Reactions: MrFootery

narenh

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Yeah but you still have the line "As a point of comparison, Apple's first-party charger is currently $34.00 on Amazon." Well it's $34.00 because it's 15W. It's an incorrect compassion and is still misleading. At very least that should say "...Apple's first-party charger is currently $34.00 on Amazon but that charger supports 15W charging, while the Anker only supports 7.5W"
I’m sure the terms of the payment Anker made to MacRumors for this post prohibit them from this kind of honest, direct comparison ;)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005

You can still make a comparison...half the price for a similar product that charges a bit less quickly, and we note the difference in the very next sentence. Many would argue slower charging is superior when it comes to long-term battery health.

I’m sure the terms of the payment Anker made to MacRumors for this post prohibit them from this kind of honest, direct comparison ;)
There are of course no such "terms." We earn a tiny Amazon commission from any sales...that's all there is to it.

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
It's pretty inaccurate to represent this as MagSafe™. Besides the fact that it is not MFi licensed to use the term "MagSafe," it's does not support the 15W MagSafe charging spec.

MacRumors shouldn't play fast-and-loose with it's readers, and Apple's and Anker's customers like this. You should update the article accordingly.
It’s apples hate which makes it not charge faster!

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Anker may charge twice as slow as Apple's, but at least with coupons, it costs about twice as less ($15.99 vs. $34 on Amazon). Having said that, I rather have 1 faster charging cable from Apple than Anker.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You can still make a comparison...half the price for a similar product that charges a bit less quickly, and we note the difference in the very next sentence. Many would argue slower charging is superior when it comes to long-term battery health.

There are of course no such "terms." We earn a tiny Amazon commission from any sales...that's all there is to it.
Then why aren't you updating the article to remove the misleading references to MagSafe?

EDIT: I see you edited it to say "MagSafe-compatible." Eh, still pretty misleading imo.

Reactions: MrFootery

1984 Mac Guru

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2018
nyc
Regardless the $5 off is kaput. So it’s not that great of a deal with only the ANKER2560 only $3 promo code.

iMarc845

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
Rockland County, NY
And on top of the MagSafe/Not controversy, I'm not seeing that promised $5.00 off Coupon box.

I've click-checked many coupon boxes on Amazon in the past. But there's nothing in the listing now.

Screen 2021-02-24 at 1.22.24 PM.jpg

Reactions: MareLuce

BigMac?

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Erlangen, Bavaria
im still not fully convinced about this new iteration of MagSaf.

for my user case it’s a step back plus the official covers‘ MagSafe plastic-strip leaves imprints on my backglass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.