Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today has Apple's 256GB 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro for $1,149.99, down from $1,299.00. As of writing, the notebook is in stock but with a slight shipping delay; it's currently estimated to be delivered between January 18 and 22.

discount-m1-macbook-pro-bue.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Compared to past deals, this is a second-best price on this model of the 13-inch M1 MacBook Pro, and it's available in both Space Gray and Silver. This model of the MacBook Pro has the Touch Bar and larger bezels.

If you're looking for a little more storage, you can also get the 512GB model for $1,299.99, down from $1,499.00. This is another second-best price that's available in both colors on Amazon.

You can find the best monthly deals on all new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air notebooks in our Best Deals guide. Be sure to visit the guide and bookmark it if you're on the hunt for a new Apple notebook; we'll be updating it weekly as we discover new MacBook offers across the web.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's 256GB 13-Inch M1 MacBook Pro on Sale for $1,149.99 ($149 Off)

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
New Model incoming? Is this Apple closing out inventory of this older model before they discontinue this model and/or replace it with a newer model?

joshwenke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
If it has 8gb of RAM, it is not a deal no matter the price. Well, it is a deal for MacRumors with the commission, but not for their readers!

Reactions: ilikewhey

JPack

macrumors G4
Mar 27, 2017
New Model incoming? Is this Apple closing out inventory of this older model before they discontinue this model and/or replace it with a newer model?

New model probably won't arrive until mid- or late-2022.

This is regular Amazon discount pricing, which is EDU minus $50.

rocketpig

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2006
IMO, the 13” MBP is the worst value in the Apple Silicon lineup. Hopefully the refresh puts it more in line as a mid-range machine between the Air and the 14” MBP.

Personally. I think a more interesting alternative is to discontinue that model and replace it with a 14-15” Air at roughly the same price point. I’d buy that machine in a heartbeat.

Reactions: imnotthewalrus

heifetz7

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
This Macbook Pro is arguably worse than the Macbook Air - it has the touchbar, but otherwise, pretty much the same components - CPU, Display.

An updated Macbook Air would be the sweetspot. I don't need all of the features of the macbook pro 14", but would like to have a cheaper 14" with a M1 or M2 that is more powerful then the current Macbook Air.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Discontinue this, drop the price on the 14" Pro by 100-200, then the lineup actually makes sense.

cocoua

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2014
madrid, spain
256GB Mac is like a 64GB iPhone, it would work out of the box, but in a few weeks it will be suffocated with no option but trash as SSD is not replaceable.

if you need the mac just for web or email, please make yourself a favor and buy and iPhone, an iPAd or any Android option of your choice.

Any software nowadays installs at least double data of its own size, and cache size are huge.

just check any "application support" folder or any cache folder in any computer.

I'm not saying you are using a 256GB mac for install any Adobe software of course, but just think how large programs are today, around 3GB, plus all the swap memory MacOS is going to use, plus 8GB of free SSD space just for the RAM when sleeping, plus SSD needs free space to work at decent speeds, ETC.

Reactions: wolfshades

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
The 13" MacBook Pro should just be called the "MacBook" and it should be priced at $900. It's not even close to the new Pro and Max.

This would also leave room for the new M2 Air as the mid range just like the iPads.
Does Apple even do "less expensive" on the MacBook line? I was shocked that they made a brand new iPad for $330 (base storage 9th gen), but for MacBooks, they don't ever seem to go that low unless it's in used condition and/or several generations old.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The 13" MacBook Pro should just be called the "MacBook" and it should be priced at $900. It's not even close to the new Pro and Max.

This would also leave room for the new M2 Air as the mid range just like the iPads.

Apple should just improve the passive cooling on the MBA M1 and get rid of the MBP M1 altogether.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
It's a shame it's only 8GB of RAM. We need deals on 16GB configs. That 8GB might be fine today but there's no way it will be enough in 5, 7, 10 years. And since you can't add more, don't get 8GB unless you plan on getting a new computer in about 3 years.

Reactions: wolfshades

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
It's a shame it's only 8GB of RAM. We need deals on 16GB configs. That 8GB might be fine today but there's no way it will be enough in 5, 7, 10 years. And since you can't add more, don't get 8GB unless you plan on getting a new computer in about 3 years.
Curious, is 8 GB a good minimum for MacOS this day in age? Otherwise, I'm guessing any power user will want 16 GB minimum?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Curious, is 8 GB a good minimum for MacOS this day in age? Otherwise, I'm guessing any power user will want 16 GB minimum?

8GB is obsolete if you want to use it beyond basic browsing. For the price Apple should include 16GB. Crucial DDR4-3200 is currently going for ~$50 for 16GB and ~$90 for 32GB.

Reactions: ackmondual

wolfshades

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto, Ontario Canada
That's a good question. I've been hearing good things about the M1s with 8 GB. I definitely would NOT recommend it as a minimum for Intel Macs. In fact (mostly out of habit and good experience) I would recommend a minimum of 16 GB, regardless of processor. In fact, I just bought a MacBook Pro M1 Max with 32 GB of RAM - only because I plan to hold onto it for more than 5 years. I figure at 32 GB it's fairly future-proof.

Reactions: ackmondual

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
For the basic user and with this M1 processor it’s ok today but no one should be getting the minimum, especially on a computer you can’t upgrade at all. They should just make 16GB the base.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.