Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following a deal on the 24-inch iMac this morning, we're also tracking a new record low price on Apple's 512GB 27-inch 5K iMac with 6-core CPU from 2020. You can get this model for $1,699.99 on Amazon, down from $1,999.00, after an automatic coupon worth $159.01 is applied at checkout.

2020-imac-sale.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The iMac is in stock and sold by Amazon, ready to ship today with Amazon's typical free shipping for all Prime members. This sale is particularly notable because it's now placing the 512GB 27-inch iMac at the same price level as the 256GB model, and it's the best price we've ever tracked across all retailers.

You can keep track of ongoing sales on Apple's iMac line by visiting our Best iMac Deals guide. There, we keep track of the best iMac offers from Amazon, Adorama, B&H Photo, and other retailers, so be sure to check back often if you're shopping for an iMac for the first time, or thinking of upgrading.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's 512GB 27-Inch iMac Discounted to Record Low Price of $1,699.99 ($299 Off)

BGPL

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2016
California
It's hard to believe they won't be going back to the 27" or bumping to a 30-32"... you can't go down once you've experienced more real estate. Not a big deal though, I'll just buy a M1X or M2 and get a 37" ultra wide with 144hz and save some money.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Apple is selling out of everything. They must be going out of business! :) Maybe they are just reducing inventory in case Epic wins.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Nice, going up to 512GB (a bit more of a usable size). This is a good sale too if you're wanting one of these. Maybe they really are clearing out stock for the follow on (will it be colored or something else?).

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Unless you specifically need an Intel machine, none of these sales on the old models seem enticing.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Beautiful design, black bezels, gray metal, let’s hope the larger iMac redesign comes in black or at least space gray.

Reactions: wyarp

wyarp

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Cue Jon Prosser announcement... 'New 27"+ to launch in the next 6 months".

tekriter

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
I don’t know…if I’m spending that much, I think I’d need to have the new generation processor architecture.

portland-dude

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2021
I don’t know…if I’m spending that much, I think I’d need to have the new generation processor architecture.
Why? You want less compatibility? M1 is great, but it's not prime time yet. I went Intel for my desktop setup (2020 iMac) and haven't regretted it for one second. By the time I'm ready to upgrade, the M series will be *well* established and much more impressive than it is today. People on these forums speak of M1 like it's a god mode chip. LOL. No. They are impressive, but not in the way the zealots here would have you believe. Seems to me they are talking it up just to justify the purchase to themselves. From my posts I've had people insist I know nothing because I don't have an M1. Uh, I have 3 actually, thanks. 2 Mini's and a MacBook Pro on top of my Intel MBP (2020) and my 2020 iMac. I think I'm in a great place for real world comparisons. It's like people have wicked short term memory loss here. I was there for the 68k to PPC, and PPC to Intel transition. Just give it time. "upgrading" to M1 has been a mixed bag at best for me.

Mac4Mat

Suspended
May 12, 2021
A new version must be on its way, presumably with the M2 chipset. Looking forward to it, but hope it doesn't copy the 24in. iMac. Although the 24in. will be no doubt a very good sell for Apple, others will prefer to wait, including myself, for the M2 to show its hand hopefully in the replacement of the 27in. iMac.

Hope it loses the Ethernet in the brick amongst other things, but its performance, performance, performance I'm after.

We need about 8 more to replace our reliable but ageing 27in. Intels, and if it has the M2 and blazing performance, providing the price is right Apple will get a lot of the pro market that need that very high end performance.

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
I find the M1 compelling for battery-operated devices like the iPad and MacBook. Less so on desktops where power consumption isn’t the primary concern.

Reactions: BarredOwl

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
A new version must be on its way, presumably with the M2 chipset. Looking forward to it, but hope it doesn't copy the 24in. iMac. Although the 24in. will be no doubt a very good sell for Apple, others will prefer to wait, including myself, for the M2 to show its hand hopefully in the replacement of the 27in. iMac.

Hope it loses the Ethernet in the brick amongst other things, but its performance, performance, performance I'm after.

We need about 8 more to replace our reliable but ageing 27in. Intels, and if it has the M2 and blazing performance, providing the price is right Apple will get a lot of the pro market that need that very high end performance.
It seems like blazing performance is going to be par for the course. And the price is going to be right by Apple standards because Apple doesn't have to buy a chip from Intel. You've seen the prices for the M1 machines and they are all standard Apple prices for these types of machines. You should expect the same for the M1X (or M2) 27in iMac when it comes out. The shoe to drop is what has apple been able to do in the GPU space. And Apple has hinted that it can achieve similar gains and performance for a GPU as it has been able to get with the M1 CPU.

Mac4Mat

Suspended
May 12, 2021
I'm hoping that as well as a replacement for the 27in. iMac there is another version of the 24in. iMac utilising the M2, but whether Apple would do that and possibly curtail its own market at the entry level iMac is another thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.