MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today has Apple's M1 13-inch MacBook Pro (512GB) for a new lowest-ever price of $1,349.99, down from $1,499.00. This price will be reflected at the checkout screen on Amazon after an automatic coupon worth $49.01 is applied.

macbook-pro-13-inch-banner.jpeg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

In recent weeks, the best price for this model sat at around $1,399.00. Today's sale marks a new all-time low price for this version of the M1 MacBook Pro. It's available in both Silver and Space Gray, but shipping on the latter option is delayed by about a week.

Additionally, you can get the 256GB model for $1,199.99 on Amazon, down from $1,299.00.

You can find even more discounts on other MacBooks by visiting our Best Deals guide for MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. In this guide we track the steepest discounts for the newest MacBook models every week, so be sure to bookmark it and check back often if you're shopping for a new Apple notebook.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's 512GB M1 MacBook Pro Hits New Low Price of $1,349.99 ($149 Off)

Goldfrapp

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
US&A
It's so interesting that I see deals on M1 MBP left and right. Hardly any on M1 MBA.

Is M1 MBA really in that much more demand and that much more desired?

Comment

jamcgahey

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2020
Maine
It's so interesting that I see deals on M1 MBP left and right. Hardly any on M1 MBA.

I think that it mostly has to do with the fact that the MBPs are getting a full refresh/new model this fall. Trying to dump this product while they still can. Especially since the next model is the return of much asked for things, such as magsafe and non USB-C ports.

Comment

BaltimoreMediaBlog

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast

I think it's a simple answer. The MBA hits its target audience very well if not even better than expected. For what the target audience is, if I were in that target audience, I'd probably love the machine.

The Macbook Pro doesn't hit the mark of a Pro Macook at all, no discreet graphics, serious memory and storage limitations in firmware.
It's ok against a baseline Intel Macbook Pro with Intel graphics, but you can't tell me it's beating discrete graphics.

I refuse to believe that. I think Tim Cook has been practicing his cooking numbers more than his product design.

Last edited:
Comment

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
They never should have bothered with this particular initial M1 MBP

It isn't differentiated enough from the MBA
Funny, I love mine.

Better battery life, bigger trackpad, and best of all, the Pro's display has nearly double the contrast ratio of the MBA. It is much more pleasing to look at. Worth it for me for sure.

Comment

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
I think that it mostly has to do with the fact that the MBPs are getting a full refresh/new model this fall. Trying to dump this product while they still can. Especially since the next model is the return of much asked for things, such as magsafe and non USB-C ports.
Welp, that's the reason I'm waiting at least. And I can believe this being the general reason. People might be waiting for truly scaled up CPU options and more RAM too. The only AS MBPs released so far are the baseline models, which is fine for many, but a lot of those people are also fine with an Air, which is also nice and fanless.

Last edited:
Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004

I recently placed an order for M1 MBA for a family member.

At the end of the day, $300 price difference wasn't the biggest factor in my decision. Also, I used Apple's educational discount, $120 cheaper than the retail.
  • I vastly prefer MBA's wedge shape design. It is easier to hold and open. While it is only about 10% lighter, it feels more portable in practice.
  • While MBP is supposedly very quiet, fan-less wins still.
  • Gold. We have 1 Silver and 1 Space Gray MacBooks. I want to be able to tell each MacBooks apart.
  • MBP having slightly brighter display, speakers, microphones wasn't worth the price difference. Touch Bar is a non factor.

Comment

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
It's ok against a baseline Intel Macbook Pro with Intel graphics, but you can't tell me it's beating discreet graphics.
I'm a pro user and don't need discrete graphics. And since I don't need it, I don't want it. A mobile GPU is like a leaky nuclear reactor:
- expensive
- produces a lot of heat
- melts down eventually
32GiB RAM, I could use. 16GiB is enough for now, but you never know.

Anyway, the AS GPU is comparable to a desktop Nvidia 1050ti.
Compared to the Radeon Pro 5300M that the Intel MBP comes with, it's not a whole lot slower according to https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-Radeon-Pro-5300M/3649vsm965657
The 5500M does a lot better (39%) according to the same site: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-Radeon-Pro-5500M/3649vsm960765
So, it's worse but not unusable.

Last edited:
Comment

BaltimoreMediaBlog

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2015
"serious memory and storage limitations in firmware."

What firmware memory and storage issues are unique to the M1 MBP?

16GB max and limited soldered SSDs. Just read the specs. A pro machine requires the ability to have 64GB in today's world. It's not rocket science how underpowered the machine is unless you're wearing VR glasses from Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field. :)

Reactions: VaruLV
Comment

turbineseaplane

macrumors G3
Mar 19, 2008
Funny, I love mine.

Better battery life, bigger trackpad, and best of all, the Pro's display has nearly double the contrast ratio of the MBA. It is much more pleasing to look at. Worth it for me for sure.
You would appear to be in the minority
But - as long as you love it, all good!

Comment

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
@Goldfrapp

I'd suggest it's because the MBP in comparable configurations - using an 8+8 M1 vs. the 8+7 in base MBAs - is ~$250 more (talking MSRP) than the MBA, for a little more thermal headroom, for use cases that are applicable to a small number of users. Then there's the Touch Bar, which, for the additional cost, may actually be a [notable] negative for many. The additional battery life is nice (MBP), but the MBA is already so darn good, I mean, I think we all probably consider "a day" quite a bit.

The bang-for-the-buck, the slightly smaller/lighter/quieter MBA seems to have really become the preferred machine at this price/performance tier without the MBA having a significant differentiator (there may be more a little margin in the MBP too).

Plus, the MBA has the incredibly low "entry level" machine (8+7/8/256) that can be found for under a grand, that's perfect for many. That's what I picked up for the wife, she loves it, and has had zero issues, and in fact, it greatly exceeds the performance of the few year old, 15" MBP it replaced.

Oh, she's uses is in a professional capacity ;)

Comment

BaltimoreMediaBlog

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2015
It's hard to take you seriously when you use "discreet" instead of "discrete."

Not every "pro" needs 64GB of RAM and 52TB of storage.

Typo fixed. Did you have a REAL point to make?

Needing is far different than NOT AVAILABLE.

When I first saw the specs on this Mac, I knew it was DOA before Tim Cook did. Or maybe he did and planned it this way. Who knows?
Either way, it apparently isn't selling well.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.