Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iPad mini 6 has returned to its all-time low price of $399.99 on Amazon this week. Be sure to make your purchase soon if you're interested as stock is dwindling fast and delivery estimates for Christmas may require you to pay for faster shipping if you don't have Prime.

ipad-mini-gingerbread-ornaments.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The 64GB Wi-Fi iPad mini is on sale at this price in Space Gray, Purple, and Starlight colors, and the sale is a match of the previous all-time low seen on this model during Black Friday. Be sure to check the delivery window before you place your order, especially if you need it to arrive for Christmas Day, as you may need to choose the faster options.

Our full Deals Roundup has more information on the latest Apple-related sales and bargains.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's iPad Mini 6 Available for Best-Ever Price of $399.99 on Amazon

Chaparral02

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2021
The 64GB WiFi iPad mini looks to be out of stock in all colours on Amazon

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I keep thinking of snagging one to use with VoIP for my iPhablet. But still would need an iPhone for my Ultra... I really like the idea of the iPad mini especially since the redesign. However, I really could use a 13" iPad without the bells and whistles of the Pro, for managing sheet music. I would prefer the bells and whistles of 120Hz and Pencil I guess... which may be most of them. Bottom line, the iPad lineup has a lot going on and I still can't find what suits me best 😅

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
My most-used Apple product... and I make my living on Apple stuff.
I too make my living on Apple hardware and my mini 6 is hands down my favorite Apple device. Paired with Pencil 2 (almost a mandatory), I use it daily for note-taking and sketching concepts and ideas. Back when I ordered my launch-day combo, I did so with very specific intent. As a doodler, and one who likes to work thought challenges with pen and paper, I was curious if I could take that analogue activity into my digital workflow. And I've been pleased to realize that doing so was more seamless than I expected. I honestly never thought the Fields Notes portion of my workflow could be usurped, but they have. Completely. Sure, there will always be a case for pen/pencil & paper. Obviously. But to have streamlined my workflow without sacrificing the benefits that come from my thoughts traveling down through my arm to my hand to a pen and onto paper, has been pretty amazing.

iPad mini 6 is the culmination of so much incredible Apple engineering and design language over the years. The size and weight are perfect: build quality feels significant whilst remaining incredibly portable. The flat edges, that match my iPhone 14 Pro and 15" MBP (touch bar), offer a cleaner presentation and better in-hand feel than the curved edges of products past. The all-screen face is so clean: it's just a slate. The TouchID built into the power button is super slick and works well. The device performance has never once struck me as inadequate on any level. On the contrary, it has proven incredibly capable of anything I've asked. And magnets. MAGNETS! I love magnets. I keep my mini in a folio case. On rare occasion, I will remove the magnetic(!) case, and every time, I am reminded just how far Appel has come since the early days. Their evolution is quite remarkable, really - which can be easily lost in the daily hysteria of any Apple-focused online community.

But where this lil' device really comes to life is when it's paired with Pencil 2. For anyone interested in doodling, sketching, drawing or hand-written notes, the duo are incredibly capable and truly fun to use. Pencil 2 is a ridiculously accurate, multifunctional marvel. Dropping Pencil 2 onto the side of a mini 6 offers a satisfactory, and audible, 'click' that I think makes me [internally] grin every time. And that the connecting the two is how Pencil 2 charges... It's just so Apple.

In closing, I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about the jelly scroll 'issue.' That, my friends, has been so very overblown. As a matter of fact, it took me a couple of months to even see what all the fuss was about. And when I did see it, I was kind of disappointed. "That's what all the ruckus was about?" So is there some incredibly slight bending of lines of copy when spastically scrolling back and forth in one aspect ratio? Yes. Is it noticeable? Not at all. We're talking about what appears to be a pixel shift. A pixel. It's so insignificant, that I hadn't thought about it again until someone mentioned it in this thread. As always, YMMV.

mac98aop

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
I too make my living on Apple hardware and my mini 6 is hands down my favorite Apple device. Paired with Pencil 2 (almost a mandatory), I use it daily for note-taking and sketching concepts and ideas. Back when I ordered my launch-day combo, I did so with very specific intent. As a doodler, and one who likes to work thought challenges with pen and paper, I was curious if I could take that analogue activity into my digital workflow. And I've been pleased to realize that doing so was more seamless than I expected. I honestly never thought the Fields Notes portion of my workflow could be usurped, but they have. Completely. Sure, there will always be a case for pen/pencil & paper. Obviously. But to have streamlined my workflow without sacrificing the benefits that come from my thoughts traveling down through my arm to my hand to a pen and onto paper, has been pretty amazing.

iPad mini 6 is the culmination of so much incredible Apple engineering and design language over the years. The size and weight are perfect: build quality feels significant whilst remaining incredibly portable. The flat edges, that match my iPhone 14 Pro and 15" MBP (touch bar), offer a cleaner presentation and better in-hand feel than the curved edges of products past. The all-screen face is so clean: it's just a slate. The TouchID built into the power button is super slick and works well. The device performance has never once struck me as inadequate on any level. On the contrary, it has proven incredibly capable of anything I've asked. And magnets. MAGNETS! I love magnets. I keep my mini in a folio case. On rare occasion, I will remove the magnetic(!) case, and every time, I am reminded just how far Appel has come since the early days. Their evolution is quite remarkable, really - which can be easily lost in the daily hysteria of any Apple-focused online community.

But where this lil' device really comes to life is when it's paired with Pencil 2. For anyone interested in doodling, sketching, drawing or hand-written notes, the duo are incredibly capable and truly fun to use. Pencil 2 is a ridiculously accurate, multifunctional marvel. Dropping Pencil 2 onto the side of a mini 6 offers a satisfactory, and audible, 'click' that I think makes me [internally] grin every time. And that the connecting the two is how Pencil 2 charges... It's just so Apple.

In closing, I'd be remiss if I didn't talk about the jelly scroll 'issue.' That, my friends, has been so very overblown. As a matter of fact, it took me a couple of months to even see what all the fuss was about. And when I did see it, I was kind of disappointed. "That's what all the ruckus was about?" So is there some incredibly slight bending of lines of copy when spastically scrolling back and forth in one aspect ratio? Yes. Is it noticeable? Not at all. We're talking about what appears to be a pixel shift. A pixel. It's so insignificant, that I hadn't thought about it again until someone mentioned it in this thread. As always, YMMV.
Really helped by this. I keep hesitating my purchase as I just love the feel of pen and paper. But so many notes and doodles and books go missing.

Have you gotten used to it? Or is it a case of wins outweigh the losses?

I just really enjoy a lamy and moleskine pairing and fear the mini and pencil just won’t cut it!?

Reactions: lazyrighteye

Beatrix Kiddo

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2022

My mini 6, pencil 2 and smart folio is on the way. I watched literally every smart folio review on youtube. Super excited. There's something about the magnets.

• Love

RumorUser12

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2020
I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max and iPad Mini 6 and use the iPad Mini 6 exclusively when I’m at home. I use the iPhone only when I’m out and about. The Mini 6 is the perfect size and I don’t notice the whole jelly scroll thing cause it’s not like you are reading while scrolling fast. The only thing the Mini is missing is a 120 hz screen, then it’d be perfect.

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2021
Bought one for $399 and still returned it. That blurry display and UI scaling is just dog ****. It somehow looks worse than 60hz even landscape mode and my iPhone Mini is easier to read on.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Really helped by this. I keep hesitating my purchase as I just love the feel of pen and paper. But so many notes and doodles and books go missing.

Have you gotten used to it? Or is it a case of wins outweigh the losses?

I just really enjoy a lamy and moleskine pairing and fear the mini and pencil just won’t cut it!?

There is nothing quite like a lamy/moleskine pairing. Thus, if you go in expecting iPad mini 6 and Pencil 2 will be that, you may walk away disappointed. Btu if you can go in, open to evolving that experience, you may walk away surprised. I sure was.

What drove my purchase was a deep curiosity. Could an iPad mini 6 + Pencil 2 replace the piles of Field Notes, notebooks, napkins, random scrap pieces of paper, and the organizational mess that yielded? I was stunned both at how easily it did and what digitizing that part of my workflow afforded (better organization, search, sharing, undo, copy/paste, different brushes, infinite color palettes, etc.). For me, it has been a complete game changer, enhancing my workflow more than anticipated. Very used to it. Plus, if I ever want, I can break out. sweet pencil and sketch book and go to town - but I find I'm doing that less.

There are third parties, like PenTips, that offer iPad screen covers that allegedly feel more like paper when you drag your Pencil across them. Not one to cover my screen with additional films, I'm more interested in their Pen Tips. They have either nubs that slip over your existing Pencil tip or complete Pencil tip replacements that apparently offer similar feedback as the screen protectors.

Finally, it's worth noting that Notes is a fantastically capable note-taking/sketching app. Next to Messages, Mail and Safari, it's probably the iOS app I leverage most. Makes me pretty curious about Freeform. That said, for $10, you'll be hard-pressed to find a more robust iPad creation tool than the aptly named Procreate. Highly recommended.

Good luck. Please post your thoughts should you head down that path. I'd be curious to hear what you think - and I'm sure I'm not alone. Cheers.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
My mini 6, pencil 2 and smart folio is on the way. I watched literally every smart folio review on youtube. Super excited.

Oh nice! Excited for you!!
When does it land? What configs did you get (specs, colors, etc.)? I'm also curious to learn your intent with that set up. I'm a process nerd and always down to hear how others use their tools, get from A to B, etc. Have fun!!

There's something about the magnets.

They are pretty... attractive.
Sorry. Could… Not… Resist. 🤪

Reactions: Beatrix Kiddo

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2013
Could this news be signaling the iPad mini 7 is coming soon? I love my iPad mini 5, but will definitely be upgrading to the 7 soon as it comes out.

Realityck

macrumors 603
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Could this news be signaling the iPad mini 7 is coming soon? I love my iPad mini 5, but will definitely be upgrading to the 7 soon as it comes out.
This has been the first holidays in the last three years that online and local store chains are recognizing that consumers need to purchase goods and are offering discounts to bring them back to normalcy. Looking like Sept 2023 would be the time.

Tim Cook's Pool Boy

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2022
I finally pulled the trigger on this. Already have the 11” iPad Pro but use it essentially as a laptop with my Brydge keyboard. This will be nice to have just a dedicated tablet again.

Beatrix Kiddo

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2022
Oh nice! Excited for you!!
When does it land? What configs did you get (specs, colors, etc.)? I'm also curious to learn your intent with that set up. I'm a process nerd and always down to hear how others use their tools, get from A to B, etc. Have fun!!

They are pretty... attractive.
Sorry. Could… Not… Resist. 🤪
I can relate man.

It will arrive in a week or so. I got the wifi 64 gb space gray one. I am planning to take notes, annotate pdfs, read some ebooks and use sidecar. I generally store my files on an external ssd and cloud so I thought I could get away with 64gb.

My main device is a M1 MBA which I’m in love. But sometimes I wish there was a bridge device to use on the go. I am currently happy with my macbook + iphone “setup” but I love apple products and had a sudden interest in ipad mini so that’s how I pulled the trigger.

• Love

ColBatGuano

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
I bought one as soon as it was available. I buy the cellular model (it has a proper GPS chip) so I can use (amongst other things) as a nicely sized maps service when I'm driving.

mac98aop

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2010
There is nothing quite like a lamy/moleskine pairing. Thus, if you go in expecting iPad mini 6 and Pencil 2 will be that, you may walk away disappointed. Btu if you can go in, open to evolving that experience, you may walk away surprised. I sure was.

What drove my purchase was a deep curiosity. Could an iPad mini 6 + Pencil 2 replace the piles of Field Notes, notebooks, napkins, random scrap pieces of paper, and the organizational mess that yielded? I was stunned both at how easily it did and what digitizing that part of my workflow afforded (better organization, search, sharing, undo, copy/paste, different brushes, infinite color palettes, etc.). For me, it has been a complete game changer, enhancing my workflow more than anticipated. Very used to it. Plus, if I ever want, I can break out. sweet pencil and sketch book and go to town - but I find I'm doing that less.

There are third parties, like PenTips, that offer iPad screen covers that allegedly feel more like paper when you drag your Pencil across them. Not one to cover my screen with additional films, I'm more interested in their Pen Tips. They have either nubs that slip over your existing Pencil tip or complete Pencil tip replacements that apparently offer similar feedback as the screen protectors.

Finally, it's worth noting that Notes is a fantastically capable note-taking/sketching app. Next to Messages, Mail and Safari, it's probably the iOS app I leverage most. Makes me pretty curious about Freeform. That said, for $10, you'll be hard-pressed to find a more robust iPad creation tool than the aptly named Procreate. Highly recommended.

Good luck. Please post your thoughts should you head down that path. I'd be curious to hear what you think - and I'm sure I'm not alone. Cheers.

Ok, thanks again.
You’ve seriously got me pondering!
I’m a little miffed as the recent price hike since the new iPad 10 launched makes it an less attractive punt. All refurb options have increased by the same percentage!

But, I’m sorely tempted. And freeform app especially, plus sidecar, really appeals.

I’ll keep you posted and many thanks again for such a decent and detailed couple of posts.

Happy Christmas!
Adam

• Love

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I can relate man.

It will arrive in a week or so. I got the wifi 64 gb space gray one. I am planning to take notes, annotate pdfs, read some ebooks and use sidecar. I generally store my files on an external ssd and cloud so I thought I could get away with 64gb.

My main device is a M1 MBA which I’m in love. But sometimes I wish there was a bridge device to use on the go. I am currently happy with my macbook + iphone “setup” but I love apple products and had a sudden interest in ipad mini so that’s how I pulled the trigger.
That sounds like the perfect addition to your set up. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.