Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today we're tracking a pair of all-time low discounts on the 2021 M1 iPad Pro, including both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch versions of the tablet. You'll find both of these sales on Amazon.

ipad-pro-m1-feature.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Starting with the 11-inch iPad Pro, you can get the 512GB Wi-Fi model for $849.00, down from $1,099.00. This one is available in both Silver and Space Gray, and at $250 off it's an all-time low price.

Next, the 256GB Wi-Fi 12.9-inch iPad Pro is on sale for $899.00, down from $1,199.00. This one is only available in Silver, and it's another record low price for the 2021 iPad Pro. Both tablets are in stock and ready to ship today on Amazon.

You can expect more discounts on select Apple products over the next few days with Amazon's "Prime Early Access Sale" this Tuesday and Wednesday. If you're not already a Prime member, Amazon offers a 30-day free trial to help get your holiday shopping started early.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's M1 iPad Pro Sees New Best-Ever Prices Arrive at Up to $300 Off

• Wow
Reactions: ghanwani

Steppanwolf

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2012
Dubuque, IA
I'm tempted.... Do we think the new iPad Pros are going to be drastically better with M2? Or can I get away with an M1...
I've been waiting for M1-equipped iPads of any flavor to get included in the refurb shop. To my knowledge they've never been listed there, even though M1-equipped macs have. Heck, there are even M2 MBPs in there already. I am getting antsy to upgrade my 10.5" iPad Pro to something newer with more storage. I have to figure sometime in the next week or two Apple will announce their new lineups for iPad and that should have an impact on existing model pricing.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I'm tempted.... Do we think the new iPad Pros are going to be drastically better with M2? Or can I get away with an M1...
I’d imagine that M1 should be relevant for several years to come. Personally, and with an update looming, I’d be too tempted to wait and see what they have in store for the update. M2 seems a lock, and I’m sure there will be other goodies that will make it worth the wait. Obviously, it’s your call. 😉

You can always find a good (maybe even better) deal on an M1 iPad Pro after the update is announced - as retailers will be looking to dump their surplus.

bradman83

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Speed-wise the M2 is only marginally faster than the M1 (10% for single-threaded tasks, 20% for multi), and the M1 is already overkill for most tablet applications. The addition of virtual memory means the M1 Pro's 8GB of RAM is extendable if you're running additional RAM-hungry apps like ProCreate, Photoshop, LumaFusion, or the Affinity apps. Plus you'll have full access to all of the more advanced features being added to iPadOS 16. The big question is if there are any additional features they roll out or if the upcoming update is just a speed bump and whether that's worth paying full price (or potentially more than today's models)?

I'm on an A12Z 2020 iPad Pro and really don't feel constrained by the speed despite spending a lot of time in Lightroom. I feel more constrained by the apps.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011

The M1 hardware already outpaces the software. The features of iPadOS 16 that attempt to address this (Stage Manager, extended display) will work for M1 iPPs, not just M2 iPPs.

By all accounts, the M2 iPad Pros will have the same form factor and same displays as the M1 models. Perhaps magsafe charging, maybe even 2-way magsafe charging. That's not something I'd upgrade for but it may be important to you or others.

In short, I'd jump at it if I didn't already own a 2020 iPad Pro. The addition of the M1 chip in the 2021 iPP wasn't enough to get me to upgrade, and the M2 chip won't be, either.

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
Speed-wise the M2 is only marginally faster than the M1 (10% for single-threaded tasks, 20% for multi), and the M1 is already overkill for most tablet applications. The addition of virtual memory means the M1 Pro's 8GB of RAM is extendable if you're running additional RAM-hungry apps like ProCreate, Photoshop, LumaFusion, or the Affinity apps. Plus you'll have full access to all of the more advanced features being added to iPadOS 16. The big question is if there are any additional features they roll out or if the upcoming update is just a speed bump and whether that's worth paying full price (or potentially more than today's models)?

I'm on an A12Z 2020 iPad Pro and really don't feel constrained by the speed despite spending a lot of time in Lightroom. I feel more constrained by the apps.
It’s not just about power imo
It’s about better battery life (are you content with your a12z? I’m not happy at all personally )
Better display (like those of the mbp with an improvement layer thst reduces blooming by a lot )
And reversed charging -as well as other features -

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Speed aside, on of the most compelling rumors for people who use external displays is a new four-pin smart-connector that would let you connect your display or drive to the Magic Keyboard. Possibly a landscape camera as well.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021

The only time I see a real lag on my 2020 is when I’m doing ML operations in an app, like resolution boosting in Pixelmator Photo. But I don’t do that all that often to feel the need to rush to upgrade.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I'm waiting until the iPad Pro with M3 just to make sure its well future proofed. Apple is on a notorious path of artificial obsolescence and is limiting features and functionality just to get users to upgrade to much newer models. It was just ridiculous that an iPad Pro with A12z was not capable of Stage Manager, the same SoC used as the basis for M1. Besides, my 2017 iPad Pro 12.9 is still doing most of what I would need from an iPad anyway: watch YouTube, web browsing, listen Spotify, light productivity like updating my budget in Excel.

Reactions: LHMac and M5RahuL

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
My problem/advice about buying Apple hardware 1.5+ years old like these iPad Pros is that you will receive fewer iPad updates down the road. For example, buying this 2021 iPad Pro may only go up to iOS 19 a few years from now while buying the upcoming 2022 iPad Pro should get you iOS 20 or 21 depending on exactly what has changed hardware wise.

Is it worth saving $250 for NOT getting future iOS updates? Some users may care, some may not. But since these are "Pro" models one would think the userbase would care a little less about price and want top notch functionality thus more iOS updates.

dalestrauss

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Midland, TX
I'm going to go ahead and beat the dead horse - Stage Manager is a waste of time and resources - and so many iPad users detest losing the pure "iPadiness" of their iPads. Tim and Craig - get over yourselves and just let the M1 iPad Pro dual boot MacOS. The users can live with the limitations of touch on MacOS if they want (like me) to use a REAL file system and full Office 365, Photoshop, and other Mac Applications on their iPad Pros when they want a real laptop experience.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Always tempting when there's a deal like this, but the fact of it is that there is nothing that M1/M2 iPad can do that my 2018 iPad can't, except for being able to span to external displays. Even then, when Stage Manager was going to be an M1 exclusive, I didn't see it as a reason to upgrade.

I have to applaud Apple for this. That the A12Z iPads still feel current, fast and powerful some 4-years on is amazing. Mini-LED would be nice, but I really don't need it for note-taking, which is 80% of what I do with all this iPad power!

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I'm going to go ahead and beat the dead horse - Stage Manager is a waste of time and resources - and so many iPad users detest losing the pure "iPadiness" of their iPads. Tim and Craig - get over yourselves and just let the M1 iPad Pro dual boot MacOS. The users can live with the limitations of touch on MacOS if they want (like me) to use a REAL file system and full Office 365, Photoshop, and other Mac Applications on their iPad Pros when they want a real laptop experience.
So true. I reach for my MacBook when I need to multitask. iPadOS is too compromised - even with Stage Manager.

I would kill for a MS Surface style iPad which ran iPadOS undocked, but then MacOS when attached to a Magic Keyboard. That would justify the M1/M2 silicon which is completely underutilized in iPadOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.