Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon has an all-time low price on Apple's M1 Mac mini (256GB SSD), available for $569.99, down from $699.00. You won't see this deal price until you add the Mac mini to your cart and an automatic coupon worth $99.01 is applied to the order.

m1-mac-mini-screen.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Amazon's sale price today on the Mac mini is a match of the same record low discount that we tracked last month on the same model. The Mac mini is shipped and sold directly by Amazon, with delivery as soon as May 13-18 for most places in the United States. The 512GB configuration is not on sale

Note: You won't see the deal price until checkout.

The M1 Mac mini was introduced in November 2020, and is the first Mac mini to include Apple's M1 chip. The M1 in the Mac mini has an 8-core CPU with four high-efficiency cores and four high-performance cores along with an integrated GPU that has 8 cores.

Be sure to visit our full Deals Roundup to shop for even more Apple-related products and accessories.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's M1 Mac Mini Available for All-Time Low Price of $569.99 ($129 Off)

surfzen21

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2019
New York
I wonder if the upcoming M2 version will be at least 20% better of a machine to make the price difference worth it.

surfzen21

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2019
New York
One significant consideration is that the 2022 model would likely have 2 more years of official macOS support.
Good point!

Even though my 2010 MBP isnt "officially" supported its still running fairly well on the older OS. IF I wanted I could install the newer OS too with a little workaround.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 601
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
They only sell 8GB unified RAM version, though... If the difference to the 16GB wasn't that much, I would have bought a Mini already. Hoping for an updated version soon, maybe with 16GB RAM as starting point in 2022.
Mac M1 with only 8GB RAM it's aimed at grandparents who only browse the web and need e-mail and FaceTime, with some decent power so their visiting grandkids could run their games and edit family videos.

Last edited:

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
We should soon see a base M2 Mac Mini plus the long awaited high-end replacement (currently still on Intel) which should come with an M2 Pro chip (32GB RAM, etc.)

Reactions: purfledspruce

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
with just 8gb of ram it turns into a paperweight opening too many programs.

At least 16GB in this day and age

Reason why I returned mine.

Especially with Monterey memory leak issues.

I see people say this all the time, but I'm here doing just fine with 8GB on my M1 Mini. I often have multiple Chrome tabs open, Firefox, GarageBand, GIMP, Word/Excel/PowerPoint, etc. all open with no hit on performance that I can perceive. 8GB is just fine for a ton of consumers.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I see people say this all the time, but I'm here doing just fine with 8GB on my M1 Mini. I often have multiple Chrome tabs open, Firefox, GarageBand, GIMP, Word/Excel/PowerPoint, etc. all open with no hit on performance that I can perceive. 8GB is just fine for a ton of consumers.
Hell, I'm typing this on an 8 GB 2014 Core i5 Mac mini (with SSD, running Monterey). I will likely replace it with a 16 GB 2022 M2 / Mx Pro Mac mini, but that ancient 8 GB Intel machine works fine running Safari (multiple tabs), Messages, Music, Apple TV+, Pages, and Citrix VPN, etc. 8 GB is good enough for most mainstream users. In fact, I bought two older Mac laptops for my wife and daughter last year, both with 8 GB. 8 GB is great for both of them.

While for some 16 GB is beneficial, for a large chunk of the market, 8 GB is fine.

BTW, my 2017 MacBook is 16 GB, and back then 16 GB would occasionally be useful to me, when I was traveling for business. However, these days my usage patterns have changed so it's just for light usage. In that context 16 GB is overkill, 5 years later.

PandaPunch

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Nice, I wish some family members had the cash for it, since they need to upgrade their machines.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Nice discount but the 8gig and lack of "easy" multi monitor support makes it a pass, I will wait to see what the M2 looks like.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2022
California
They only sell 8GB unified RAM version, though... If the difference to the 16GB wasn't that much, I would have bought a Mini already. Hoping for an updated version soon, maybe with 16GB RAM as starting point in 2022.
If you want a different configuration, buy a different configuration. At $569, this is the least expensive M1 Mac in history, and only $70 more than the first Power PC G4 Mac Mini at its launch. It's clearly an entry-level machine for entry-level users.

Reactions: EugW

steve217

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
NC

It’s reflexive… Drives me mad too.

No one is saying an 8GB is suitable for the heaviest of loads, but for everyday uses, like the ones you describe, it’s absolutely fantastic.

Basic75

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2011
Europe
8GB is just fine for a ton of consumers.
Today it might barely be enough, but what about in 5 or 7 years when the M1 will still be more than fast enough for the same consumers? I see many 10 year old computers being used today, but only the ones that were upgraded from the then default 4GB to 8GB of RAM. Now it's history repeating with 8 and 16.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Today it might barely be enough, but what about in 5 or 7 years when the M1 will still be more than fast enough for the same consumers? I see many 10 year old computers being used today, but only the ones that were upgraded from the then default 4GB to 8GB of RAM. Now it's history repeating with 8 and 16.
That was my logic when I bought my 16 GB MacBook in 2017, since I typically keep my machines a long time. However, I've since changed jobs and no longer need 16 GB in a laptop.

Back then I would be fine about 90-95% of the time with 8 GB, with 16 GB being a bonus 5-10% of the time. 8 GB was usually the sweet spot but I figured over 4-5 years that would increase so that 12 GB would be the sweet spot, but since 12 GB was not available, I bought 16. Just the opposite has happened. Now 5 years later, I need 16 GB in a laptop 0% of the time.

It really depends on your needs. For my wife and kid, it's extremely unlikely they will need more than 8 GB in their laptops in the next 4-5 years. One machine is for a kitchen surfing, email, and recipe machine, and the other is for a young grade school student who spends most of her time in Google docs. If one of them (esp. the kid) suddenly needs more like for video editing or something, then I'll buy another machine then. At that point they'd probably need a CPU upgrade anyway, since the 8 GB machine I bought for her was a 2015 MacBook Pro with Core i5.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

I used my 4GB i5 2012 MBA from 2012-2021 and never noticed a performance decrease. I think I'll be alright for a good number of years with twice the memory on the M1 version.

mikebenton

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
Let me see if I understand…. Apple just released the MacStudio with M1 Pro and Ultra, with the entry price on the Pro being $1700. Now some folks think the M1 Pro is going to be part of the next MacMini? Yeah…..no

purfledspruce

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
Let me see if I understand…. Apple just released the MacStudio with M1 Pro and Ultra, with the entry price on the Pro being $1700. Now some folks think the M1 Pro is going to be part of the next MacMini? Yeah…..no
You are incorrect. There is no Studio with an M1 Pro. It starts with the M1 Max, which is the equivalent chip architecture of 2 pros back to back. A mini with an M2 Pro is likely, though not certain.

Reactions: SFjohn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.