Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amazon today has Apple's MagSafe Charger for $29.98, down from $39.00. This sale is just a couple of cents off from the lowest price we've ever seen on this accessory, and it's one of the best prices available online this week. It's also being matched at Walmart.

iphone12magsafe.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The MagSafe Charger perfectly aligns with the magnets on the iPhone 12 family of devices and provides wireless charging. It also maintains compatibility with Qi charging, so any iPhone 8 or later device can still use it, as well as AirPods with a Wireless Charging Case and AirPods Pro.

For optimal charging, Apple recommends using a 20W USB-C Power Adapter with the MagSafe Charger, but it's sold separately. However, Costco members this week can save on both of these accessories when bundled together, priced at $39.99. Individually, the 20W USB-C Power Adapter costs $19.00 and the MagSafe Charger costs $39.00, so you're essentially getting the Power Adapter at no extra cost with this deal.

Of course, you'll need to be a Costco member to see the deal and be able to purchase it. You'll have until September 10 before the sale ends, and there is a limit of two per member. Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Apple's MagSafe Charger Available for $29.98 on Amazon ($9 Off)

Last edited:

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
The term "Charger" just doesn't quite convey that you're just getting a power cord and not getting a power adapter to charge with for that price. Nice price for the cord if you're wanting one - as others have mentioned a new version is coming.

MagSafe power cord actually conveys what you're getting here. Calling it a charger is misleading to most folks on the street. JMHO.

Last edited:

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
To this day, I really don't "get it." I plug mine in quite happily with a lightning cable. I'm not sure what benefit buying one of these gives. I can see that if someone has a disability such as poor sight it could help, so that's good. But I don't see much benefit beyond that.
It’s just nicer. I charge my iPhone MagSafe and my iPad Pro lightning. I’d take magsafe every time. It satisfyingly clicks into place, and pushes off with a brush of your fingers.

Reactions: xmach

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
To this day, I really don't "get it." I plug mine in quite happily with a lightning cable. I'm not sure what benefit buying one of these gives. I can see that if someone has a disability such as poor sight it could help, so that's good. But I don't see much benefit beyond that.
Well, Apple will relieve you of the $30 that's been bunging up your pocket!

Reactions: Mrjetsondc

sectokia

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2021
Does anyone have one? is there a point to these? I guess it’s easier fumble around in the dark for it on your bed side table, compared to plugging in a cord, but that’s about it.

Mrjetsondc

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2020

people like you and me are not the early adopters for this tech. But the writing is clear- everyone will have to charge this way soon bc ports will cease to exist in 5 years. Maybe sooner.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011

I have a MagSafe "base" that is semi-permanently affixed to my nightstand. Getting into bed (or occasionally after a quick look at the phone while already in bed), it's easy to casually toss the phone on the MagSafe and know it will align and charge. No fumbling with cables in the dark. No chance you mis-align with a standard Qi charger and wake up to a dead phone.

macdisciple

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2016
USA
It's about transitioning to what will become the norm without completely forcing people to adapt and adopt overnight.

Randel.D

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2020
Atlanta, GA
Not sure I would jump on this yet, as potential new models might support data transfer as well.

That would be interesting, but I don't know the last time I felt any need to transfer data via a wire to/from my phone. If they add that functionality, maybe there would be something else new in the software that makes that desirable. Or maybe they'll just make it capable of charging even faster with more than 20W?

I ordered this after reading the article. I saw a friend with one a few months ago and it did seem a little nicer than the plug-in variety. I also don't care about the speed of the charging, I don't typically need to charge during the day, so nighttime charging can take all the time it needs.

Reactions: xmach

travoose

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2008
Central PA
That would be interesting, but I don't know the last time I felt any need to transfer data via a wire to/from my phone. If they add that functionality, maybe there would be something else new in the software that makes that desirable. Or maybe they'll just make it capable of charging even faster with more than 20W?

I ordered this after reading the article. I saw a friend with one a few months ago and it did seem a little nicer than the plug-in variety. I also don't care about the speed of the charging, I don't typically need to charge during the day, so nighttime charging can take all the time it needs.

I am in the same boat, other than having a wired CarPlay, so hopefully that would/will do the trick. Again, not even sure that this is all happening, just speculation and maybe even some "want" on my part.

Reactions: Randel.D

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
The charger is OK if you have a power brick already and you get it on sale. But why Apple, why is the cord so short????!!!!

sebseb81

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2010
Can someone remind me: is there less heat loss with MagSafe compared to standard Qi?
Also how well does this work with chargers below 20W? Not just 18W but 10W and even 5W?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.