Deals: Best Buy Discounts HomePod to $330, HiRise Duet Code Expiring, and More

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As part of its ongoing spring sale event, Best Buy today has discounted Apple's HomePod by $20, bringing the cost of the smart speaker to $329.99, down from $349.99. The speaker is available in both White and Space Gray. While not a massive discount, this is one of the first straight price drops on HomePod since its launch earlier this year, outside of sitewide promo codes on eBay.

[​IMG]
    Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Best Buy is also discounting a collection of refurbished Apple Watch devices today only. The 20 percent off Deal of the Day savings include limited stock of the 42mm Space Gray Aluminum Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS) for $287.20 and the 38mm version for $263.20, as well as some GPS + Cellular options. The Geek Squad certified refurbished Apple Watch models are restored to a like-new state, verified to work properly, and include all parts and accessories. Best Buy also upholds its regular return and exchange policies for refurbished devices.

As a reminder, our exclusive discount code for Twelve South's HiRise Duet stand expires tomorrow, April 28. If you're interested and haven't used the code yet, head over to Amazon, add the HiRise Duet to your cart, then enter the code 30DUET at checkout to get $30 off the accessory, marking it down to $89.99 from $119.99. Twelve South's HiRise Duet provides a dual-charging solution for iPhone and Apple Watch, with a Lightning connector and Apple Watch charging puck embedded in the device.

[​IMG]

Additionally, DirecTV Now is still offering a 32GB Apple TV 4K at no cost when pre-paying for three months of the streaming TV service. With the deal, you can get a brand new Apple TV for $105, and cancel DirecTV Now before the three months ends if you don't wish to keep paying for the service.

To check out more of the latest sales and offers happening this week, be sure to visit our full Deals Roundup.

Article Link: Deals: Best Buy Discounts HomePod to $330, HiRise Duet Code Expiring, and More

2. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

$20!? Lol gonna need a bigger discount than that.

3. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

There was a 15% off eBay coupon yesterday which would have gotten it to $296 and a 20% off a month ago.

4. Mike MA, Apr 27, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2018

Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

How will HomePod sales increase?
    • Show its customers there’s the awareness and a masterplan to improve Siri - the main enabler to control the HomePod
    • Offer a fair discount
    • Acknowledge the sounds problems created by the last update and don’t just do nothing
    • Sell it to more than 3 countries worldwide
    In my view nothing more than some decent customer relation management. But that‘s not in Tims DNA. So the retailers start their own initiatives.

5. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

Surely a discount of any amount on anything is worthwhile… Unless you’re one of those types who’s keen to throw money around?

6. ctg7w6 macrumors 6502

I like discounts. But, I have to wonder if this will inspire anyone to purchase it, which is the entire point of a discount from the point of view of the business. My guess is that anyone willing to pay $330 for this device is willing to pay $350.

Whereas if it were lowered to $200, let's say, it would induce quite a few people to buy it, not just because they would think it was worth it, but because they would look at the discount and really think it was a good deal (which is different from thinking it is worth it).

But a $20 discount, while nice for anyone making a purchase, is, in my opinion, a laughable inducement for people to purchase (i.e. it won't induce anyone to buy it who wasn't already planning on purchasing it).

7. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

Nope, the discount was only good for up to $50 off. Reading the fine prints would pointed that out.
    15% of $350 is $52.5 and is more than $50.

8. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Screw DirectTV. I've been trying to cancel for weeks now. They cannot find my account by my name, my phone number, or my address. They ask for my account number, which I don't have. They say it's on every bill mailed to me, but I don't get any bill--there's just a monthly credit card charge. I looked through the "Welcome Aboard" email they sent me, which has been the only communication I actually receive from them, and it doesn't have my account number either.

So after two calls with them failing to cancel my account, I called the credit card company saying that I don't want to authorize that monthly charge any more, but they have no way of stopping future charges. The credit card support person suggested that we dispute last month's charge, which will hopefully trigger DirectTV to send paperwork responding to the dispute which hopefully will include my account number. If that doesn't work, I'm just going to have to dispute the charge every month until they stop.

9. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Me: “Hey Siri, lower the price of the HomePod to something reasonable, closer to the price of the intellectually superior Echo.”

Siri: “I’m sorry, I can’t do that right now.”

10. currentinterest macrumors 6502

My HomePod is fabulous. I will buy another once stereo pairing is enabled. It is worth every cent. Siri works well for me and I love how the device can hear me no matter how much the volume is cranked up.

11. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

Hi, is that you, Timmy?

12. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

So anyone who likes an Apple product you don't like is Timmy? :p

13. cashville2400 macrumors regular

cashville2400

14. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

The discount a couple weeks back was 20% off. I got a HomePod for $279 at that time.

And OH NO! You only get $50 off with the current discount, not $52.50! A whole $2.50 less?! What ever will we do?!

15. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

OK yes, I see your point.

I suppose the small discount might work on the type of customer who is drawn in by a discounted price, rather than focusing on the actual savings.

16. Xavier macrumors 68030

That DirecTV Apple TV 4k deal is really temping. Sign up, then cancel when the Apple TV arrives. Almost an $80 savings.

17. MrGuder macrumors 68030

At least you didn't get "sorry didn't understand that would you like me to search the web for..."

18. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

I am just stating a fact that YOUR calculation was incorrect on the 15% coupon due to the terms and conditions.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2018 ---
    Nah, just those that seems obvious. :p

19. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

So just 14,25%. Yeah, lets start a war about this

20. Vasilioskn macrumors 6502

Vasilioskn

Yeah sorry but HomePod is not worth more than $150.

21. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Lol their competition IS Alexa and they're going at it with a completely stupid brain dead Siri at TEN times the price of a discounted Dot. OK

But it sounds so much better!!!

lol oh. ok. lol

Here's a clue Apple. $300 buys a powered speaker system from Amazon to plug a Dot into that blows away HomePod every day of the week except holidays.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2018 ---
    at $99 I might get one just as a Bluetooth speaker. Siri being inside makes it worth less though. Maybe $75. Is there a way to turn Siri off completely and just use it as a speaker?

22. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

I’d take a HomePod for free but that’s about it

23. B4U macrumors 68020

B4U

This is what is wrong with the society nowadays.
    When someone made a mistake, everyone think it is acceptable AND then criticize the ones who pointed out those mistakes.
    Just learn to admit the mistake and move on already.

24. bigandtasty macrumors 6502

bigandtasty

Fear the BigandTasty!
    --- Post Merged, Apr 28, 2018 ---
    or keep and use the service for the better part of 3 mos and then cancel.. Have had the service since day 1 and its great.