Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today we're tracking a few deals at Best Buy, including record low prices on the iPhone 12 mini and iPad mini 5.

iPad-mini-and-iPhone-12-Best-Buy-Feature.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

iPhone 12 mini

To start, you can get Apple's 64GB iPhone 12 mini from T-Mobile for $429.99, down from $729.99. This $300 off discount is only available when you select T-Mobile as a carrier, and it's a one-time payment that requires activation with T-Mobile at purchase.

You can save $300 on most models of the iPhone 12 mini: the 128GB is available for $479.99, and the 256GB is available for $579.99. Additionally, Best Buy is offering $75 off some iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max models. Note that all of these savings are seen only under T-Mobile on Best Buy.

iPad mini 5

Best Buy also has $100 off Apple's iPad mini 5, starting at $299.99 for 64GB Wi-Fi, down from $399.99. You can also get the 256GB Wi-Fi model for $449.99, down from $549.99.

Both sales represent matches for the previous all-time low prices on the iPad mini 5. We're expecting a refresh of the iPad mini lineup sometime this fall, which is likely the reason why we're now seeing frequent discounts on the 2019 model.

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Deals: Best Buy Takes $300 Off iPhone 12 Mini and $100 Off iPad Mini

Last edited:

Jzvm

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2020
When they require to activate with T-Mobile, can you just plug in any active T-Mobile sim, activate, and then reset the phone? Or do they mean that you have to get new T-Mobile service and that the phone gets locked to T-Mobile?

peneaux

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2020
I just asked Best Buy. They say it can be an existing line, but the phone will be locked to T-Mobile after activation.

thank you for taking the time. It shows that the promotion is useless since it’s LOCKED carrier plan.

Reactions: B4U

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
thank you for taking the time. It shows that the promotion is useless since it’s LOCKED carrier plan.

On Verizon, I can do this on one of my lines, and then 2-3 weeks later (because Verizon makes you wait...) I can pay it off in full. After 60 days it's unlocked.

But either way, I'd be getting a Verizon iPhone 12 Mini for the same price as the SE. That alone is good, but it can be unlocked soon as well.

Best Buy does promos like this and they're normally related to inventory clearing. Given the timing of this and the fact that the Mini has undersold, I'm sure that's what's going on here as well.

I might jump on this... that's a heck of a deal for the Mini.

kevjen888

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Is the iPhone 12 Mini deal for new T-Mobile customers only? What if you’re currently T-Mobile customer, can you just insert by our current SIM card and make the deal work?

iPrabhu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
you do know that T-Mobile unlocks it on request (since the device is paid off), after 40 days of activation, right?

keti2377

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
I’m with T-Mobile but based on my experience, you can unlock the phone after 30 days of service.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It was a sad night the night I left my bag with my iPad mini in a bar. It was old and well used, but still a great device. Went with a full-sized iPad in its place. But my preference is to have a small cell phone and a secondary device like an iPad for travel. The iPad mini was still small enough to fit into a large coat pocket. So it pretty much went everywhere with me, except at the end of a late night when it didn't.

eicca

Contributor
Oct 23, 2014
Well it took me a few days and multiple tries because BestBuy sucks but I finally got a 12 Mini out of this deal. Thanks MacRumors!

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I’m still getting promotional device rebates every month. If I buy this $429 12 mini it counts as an upgrade. Does that mean I lose my remaining device rebates for that line?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.