Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

OWC has returned with a discount on a new HomePod this week, offering the White HomePod for $204.99 and the Space Gray HomePod for $207.99. This is the current best discount on a new HomePod ($91-$94 off), and the next best price you'll find is at Best Buy for $249.99.

homepod-still.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with OWC. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

If you're looking to purchase two HomePods to set up a stereo pair, you can save more money as well. Buying two White HomePods at once will knock $10 off the price of each speaker ($194.99/speaker), while buying two Space Gray HomePods will take $6 off each speaker ($201.99/speaker).

OWC's HomePods are new and come in non-retail packaging, meaning you'll receive them in a nondescript box instead of Apple's official packaging. These HomePods are covered under one year of OWC's Fulfilled Limited Warranty instead of Apple's warranty coverage.

Both colors of the HomePod are in stock and available to ship today. Free shipping is available with an estimated five to eight business days for the delivery, depending upon your location.

We track the best deals on HomePod every week, so be sure to bookmark our guide if you're on the hunt for solid HomePod discounts.

Article Link: Deals: Get a New HomePod for $204.99 This Week at OWC ($94 Off)

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I wish the new format of MacRumors where every story appears on the main page would allow some form of filtering by category, so I could hide all the US-affiliate "news stories" and US-only competitions, or at least demote them to somewhere less prominent. I appreciate it's a US site and relies on income from some of these stories, but I imagine a significant amount of members are "rest of the world".

richie510

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2013
Denver, CO
I missed the several Best Buy sales @200, and almost jumped in this OWC sale before. But I struggle with the non retail packaging, and OWC warranty. Hard to understand how this is still a new product if it is under an OWC warranty. A year ago or so I asked them over chat and they confirmed it was in fact new, but still hard to understand.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
This is about the price point where I'd be tempted to pick one up, although at this point I'd expect a refresh soon. But I believe non-Apple streaming services are still second-class citizens with HomePod - so, until that's addressed, I'll still be sitting on the sidelines.

KrispE00

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2016
I missed the several Best Buy sales @200, and almost jumped in this OWC sale before. But I struggle with the non retail packaging, and OWC warranty. Hard to understand how this is still a new product if it is under an OWC warranty. A year ago or so I asked them over chat and they confirmed it was in fact new, but still hard to understand.
Agreed. Once the plastic is ripped off and it’s taken out of the original box, it’s no longer new. They can call these “like new” or “refurbished”, but new and without Apple warranty is an oxymoron.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
Agreed. Once the plastic is ripped off and it’s taken out of the original box, it’s no longer new. They can call these “like new” or “refurbished”, but new and without Apple warranty is an oxymoron.
You are correct. Definition of NEW: not previously used or owned.

These are owned by OWC before they are purchased by customers. So, not new.

What a way to advertise products and is Macrumors so desperate for a few $ that they promote this under these conditions? Shameful.

Reactions: 480951

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I have 1. Got it for $199 several months ago. I wouldn't buy another, but it's nice to have in my living room to play music. That's about it.
[automerge]1585154763[/automerge]
This is about the price point where I'd be tempted to pick one up, although at this point I'd expect a refresh soon. But I believe non-Apple streaming services are still second-class citizens with HomePod - so, until that's addressed, I'll still be sitting on the sidelines.

I'd expect a low cost version before I'd expect a refresh.

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
I got mine for $199 I like it as a speaker next to my iMac to play my huge audio file collection as I DJ
other than that it is ok. has the best sound quality compared to competitors.

here is one for $165 but used type in apple HomePod to see price

Last edited:

Hodar1

macrumors regular
Swing .... and a miss.
For music, they sound remarkable good - and that is it. Silly me, I thought "Apple Ecosystem", the perfect pairing for my AppleTV with my TV downstairs. There is a reason why EVERY AV Tuner on the market, as a pre-set of EQ levels for Sports, Concerts, Action Movies, etc. etc. etc. One size does NOT definitely fit all, the audio when watching Netflix, Hulu, Prime or HBO is often muddled. Sometimes the dialog is clear, often it is not.

So, what to do? I use BOTH the AppleTV (good dynamic range) and the cheap speaker in the Plasma TV to get the best compromise I can get for watching movies/TV downstairs. I would have been much better off buying a $200 Soundbar at Costco.

Reactions: yakapo

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix

What a way to advertise products and is Macrumors so desperate for a few $ that they promote this under these conditions? Shameful.
I’d like to know where exactly are they getting these homepods without retail boxes from. Apple certainly isn’t shipping homepods that never had retail packaging.

Reactions: Expos of 1969

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
I’d like to know where exactly are they getting these homepods without retail boxes from. Apple certainly isn’t shipping homepods that never had retail packaging.
and if they are getting them from Apple in sealed boxes, they are selling them at a loss. Very suspicious all around yet Macrumours promotes this campaign with either not delving into the details or sweeping the findings under the carpet.
[automerge]1585160625[/automerge]
"meaning you'll receive them in a nondescript box instead of Apple's official packaging."

Sounds like how my third cousin described things he sold that "fell off the back of a truck" ;)

Reactions: KrispE00

frankly

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2003

This is a good point.

Oxymoron is the polite term for this. Scam or shady may be more appropriate. Who knows?

I am curious as to how these are labeled as new but I would not assume it is a scam or shady. Other World Computing has been in business for a LONG time and is a very reputable company in the Apple Universe. They stand by what they sell.

Please clarify. What do you mean by "these are owned by OWC"? Aren't all products not sold directly by Apple "owned" by another company before you get them? I am very curious about why they don't have the original packaging or warranty but I am also curious as to why you consider these "owned by OWC."

and if they are getting them from Apple in sealed boxes, they are selling them at a loss. Very suspicious all around yet Macrumours promotes this campaign with either not delving into the details or sweeping the findings under the carpet.
[automerge]1585160625[/automerge]

"meaning you'll receive them in a nondescript box instead of Apple's official packaging."

Sounds like how my third cousin described things he sold that "fell off the back of a truck" ;)

Again, OWC is a very trustworthy company. Definitely nothing like your third cousin ;)

So, I was just looking at the OWC site, and it clearly states, "New, Bulk (Non-Retail) Packaging"

Now, we may definitely not be used to Apple selling products in this manner, but selling items in bulk packaging that are not labeled for individual retail sale is a very common retail practice and those items are new. Not typical for Apple products but not unheard of in retail.

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
This is a good point.

I am curious as to how these are labeled as new but I would not assume it is a scam or shady. Other World Computing has been in business for a LONG time and is a very reputable company in the Apple Universe. They stand by what they sell.

Please clarify. What do you mean by "these are owned by OWC"? Aren't all products not sold directly by Apple "owned" by another company before you get them? I am very curious about why they don't have the original packaging or warranty but I am also curious as to why you consider these "owned by OWC."

Again, OWC is a very trustworthy company. Definitely nothing like your third cousin ;)
Perhaps not, but until a full explanation is provided I have trouble viewing this without any suspicion or concern. If OWC is selling these at below cost to reward its customers, why not sell them intact in the Apple wrapper? I am ready to be corrected but until OWC is open and public with how this works I place them in the range of my third cousin ?
[automerge]1585167790[/automerge]
This is a good point.

So, I was just looking at the OWC site, and it clearly states, "New, Bulk (Non-Retail) Packaging"

Now, we may definitely not be used to Apple selling products in this manner, but selling items in bulk packaging that are not labeled for individual retail sale is a very common retail practice and those items are new. Not typical for Apple products but not unheard of in retail.
Hmmm...may be a new way for Apple to dump a failed product that very few people want. If so, typical approach for the non-transparent Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.